You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-15 05:05:39

sud_crow
Website

Sound problems, full-duplex not working?

Hi,

Im having a problem with sound, i use ALSA, and when i play a mp3 in XMMS i cant hear the sounds from other apps (as Gaim) until the song finishes and im presented with all of them at once, this means that i get the usual message recieved sound one after the other, until all the messages sent during the song are "heard". and the next song starts.

I think has something to do with full-duplex, but dont know where to look or fix it.

any help?

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2003-10-15 05:24:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Sound problems, full-duplex not working?

It doesn't have to do with full-duplex.  Full-duplex is being able to play sound out of your sound card and record sound at the same time.

What you want is to be able to play more than one sound at once.  Only certain cards and certain drivers support this (one is the emu10k1, the sblive), most don't.  If you want to play multiple sounds at once maybe you should install a sound daemon like esd or artsd.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-10-15 05:46:25

sud_crow
Website

Yeah, i thought something like that, anyway, my card is capable (actually is a AC97 Codec on board) and drivers too, because i can do it in MDK or LFS.

I already installed Arts, so, now?? dont have a clue on how to use it.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#4 2003-10-15 16:12:12

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Now you have to point xmms to the arts daemon (using an arts driver).

There is a difference between software mixing (esd and artsd) and hardware mixing (opening the sound device with two different processes).  Do you know which one is being using in MDK or your LFS?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2003-10-16 09:50:08

sud_crow
Website

Hi, well i dont have a clue what i use...

But i will check and post later, thanks for the tip.
By the way, i think that XMMS uses ALSA, so i dont think im using either eSnd or Artsd as i would have to select them in the output plugin in XMMS for them to work as you sayd.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

Board footer