You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-07 13:32:44

guidito73

[SOLVED] Udev, Gnome and automount (Without HAL!)

Well, I've done a fresh install with Gnome, this time trying to keep everything cleand and smooth.

Part of it is to give way to Udev and leaving HAL (forever, if lucky). However, I've read the Wiki for Udev and I don't fully understand how to automount my other EXT4 and NTFS partitions (as well as any optical discs and USBs I may use in the future).

Right now, Gnome doesn't mount any partition, only /, /home and swap, obviously of my Arch install. But I also have 2 Ubuntu partitions and 1 NTFS. I'd like to automount them on boot and also, if it's not much asking, without asking for a password big_smile

Please tell me if I'm missing any vital info, thanks in advance!

Last edited by guidito73 (2010-09-07 14:25:04)

#2 2010-09-07 13:36:19

stefanwilkens

Re: [SOLVED] Udev, Gnome and automount (Without HAL!)

for automated mounting of internal partitions during boot, I suggest you have a look at fstab: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab smile

though the fstab wiki page doesn't mention it, mounting ntfs paritions with write support is done through ntfs-3g. For instance:

# <file system>   <dir>        <type>    <options>             <dump>  <pass>
/dev/sda1  /mnt/windows  ntfs-3g   defaults          0       0

External partitions should be auto mounted by default, if not please install gconf-editor like so:

sudo pacman -S gconf-editor

1. Start gconf-editor (Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor)
2. go to / -> apps -> nautilus -> preferences
3. check that "media_automount" is enabled. "media_automount_open" if you want a popup nautilus every time you insert external media.
4. you may have to log off / on again, or restart nautilus, to parse these settings

*edit*

getting a list of the kernel naming descriptors for your partitions (/dev/sda1 etc) is done through:

fdisk -l

as the wikipage mentions, however, you may need to run this command as root smile

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2010-09-07 13:49:31)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#3 2010-09-07 14:07:51

guidito73

stefanwilkens wrote:

for automated mounting of internal partitions during boot, I suggest you have a look at fstab: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab smile

though the fstab wiki page doesn't mention it, mounting ntfs paritions with write support is done through ntfs-3g. For instance:

# <file system>   <dir>        <type>    <options>             <dump>  <pass>
/dev/sda1  /mnt/windows  ntfs-3g   defaults          0       0

External partitions should be auto mounted by default, if not please install gconf-editor like so:

sudo pacman -S gconf-editor

1. Start gconf-editor (Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor)
2. go to / -> apps -> nautilus -> preferences
3. check that "media_automount" is enabled. "media_automount_open" if you want a popup nautilus every time you insert external media.
4. you may have to log off / on again, or restart nautilus, to parse these settings

*edit*

getting a list of the kernel naming descriptors for your partitions (/dev/sda1 etc) is done through:

fdisk -l

as the wikipage mentions, however, you may need to run this command as root smile

Thanks for your quick reply smile

I've done what you told me, but I can't get to mount my NTFS partition in /mnt/windows (or EXT4 as /mnt/ubuntu). If I just put /media, it mounts ok, but it's a mess, since all that NTFS folders are put all in the /media directory.

When I try /mnt/windows, an error message appears at boot, telling me that fuse couldn't recognize that directory because it doesn't exist.

Does that mean that I must in some way "create" or get a symbolic link to that directory?

#4 2010-09-07 14:13:02

wonder
Developer
Website

gnome doesn't use hal since 2.28. you only have to use gdm or ck-launch-session in .xinitrc to make it work

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2010-09-07 14:14:34

stefanwilkens

no no, you have to create a folder before you can mount anything to it smile

This will create the 2 folders you mentioned:

sudo mkdir /media/{windows,ubuntu}

don't do this while your partitions are mounted to /media, or the folders will be created on the mounted partition. Be sure to unmount the partitions you've mounted to /media before you create these directories.

Alternatively, you can comment the lines you added in fstab with a # in front of the line and reboot before you create the folders.

Once the folders are created, you can mount to them.

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2010-09-07 14:22:35)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#6 2010-09-07 14:15:09

guidito73

wonder wrote:

gnome doesn't use hal since 2.28. you only have to use gdm or ck-launch-session in .xinitrc to make it work

Yep, I've done the ck-launch-session thing in .xinitrc (I don't like gdm, I'm the only user in Arch), and still, I've got this problem (oh, I forgot to mention, I can't turn off/reboot my computer from Gnome, I have to do it from the terminal). Is this part of the same issue?

#7 2010-09-07 14:18:16

wonder
Developer
Website

be sure you have dbus started and you have in .xinitrc

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session or with a dbus-launch between ck and gnome-session

#8 2010-09-07 14:24:28

guidito73

Thank you very much guys!

I've solved both issues. I created the directories as you told me, stefan, and it works great! big_smile

And for the shutdown problem, I forgot to add the dbus to the daemons, my mistake ^^

Now, everything is working and I can spend my time in eyecandy tongue

Thank you again!

#9 2010-09-07 15:50:37

Foucault

wonder wrote:

Sorry for posting in a solved thread but this really puzzles me. How can gnome be hal-less if libgnome requires gnome-vfs, which in turn requires hal? hmm

#10 2010-09-07 15:58:06

wonder
Developer
Website

Foucault wrote:
wonder wrote:

Sorry for posting in a solved thread but this really puzzles me. How can gnome be hal-less if libgnome requires gnome-vfs, which in turn requires hal? hmm

gnome-vfs and libgnome are deprecated libs and therefor would have hal support.

gnome-vfs is not used at all by gnome and libgnome is used only by gnome-terminal for some keybindings if i remember well

#11 2010-09-07 16:21:28

Foucault

Still, another (afaik) deprecated thing, libbonoboui (gnome-panel requirement), requires libgnome. If an integral part of gnome (gnome-panel) depends on deprecated things, then those deprecated things do not seem to be deprecated after all.

Last edited by Foucault (2010-09-07 16:30:26)

Board footer