You are not logged in.

#101 2010-08-30 20:49:46

Psyce

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Hi Portix,

don't know how the site really is called because it was an embed flash player. I think the segfaults are coming from the flash players. I don't really know the revision I am using. Cloned it about 22. last time.

I try out the new atm giving feedback after some testing

[Edit 02.09.2010] OK the new version seems to be a little bit more stable but still crashes, I copy the crash msg next time when it happens.

[Edit2 02.09.2010] now it happened again and what should i say its now only coming this.

Received SIGSEGV, try to clean up.                                                                        
Success.
zsh: segmentation fault  ./dwb2/src/dwb

greetz

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-02 20:56:30)

#102 2010-09-04 09:54:50

Psyce

pushing maybe you don't look every time in the post

#103 2010-09-04 16:05:04

portix

Thanks for reporting, but i need more information to reproduce it. The message

Success.

means that a segmentation fault happened and saving the data was successfull. It would be great if you could post steps
to reproduce this segfault, or does it happen randomly?

#104 2010-09-04 19:54:44

Psyce

Hi portix,

it is not completly random. When I go to youtube or some sites with flash in it, start the video and open a new tab it happens often (If I start the player and a pop up comes can come to).

That is how it happens for me but it appears randomly and when it crashed and I do the same again it works somehow.

[Edit]: btw can I somehow change the behaviour that when I do double click that the views are pushed?

greetz

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-05 02:19:11)

#105 2010-09-05 03:37:12

empthollow

I repoted a problem with my esktop where the browser would not recognize commands such as 'b' and 'o'.  I have discovered the the source of the problem is the num lock key.  When I turn it off the browser works fine and when I turn it on, it recognizes that I pressed the 'o' key but does not issue the open command.  Is there a way I can fix this?

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#106 2010-09-06 08:42:48

portix

Psyce wrote:

Hi portix,

it is not completly random. When I go to youtube or some sites with flash in it, start the video and open a new tab it happens often (If I start the player and a pop up comes can come to).

That is how it happens for me but it appears randomly and when it crashed and I do the same again it works somehow.

Thanks i will try to fix this the next days.

Psyce wrote:

[Edit]: btw can I somehow change the behaviour that when I do double click that the views are pushed?

This is not possible at the moment but I can make this behaviour configurable.

empthollow wrote:

I repoted a problem with my esktop where the browser would not recognize commands such as 'b' and 'o'.  I have discovered the the source of the problem is the num lock key.  When I turn it off the browser works fine and when I turn it on, it recognizes that I pressed the 'o' key but does not issue the open command.  Is there a way I can fix this?

The problem is that numlock is recognized as Mod2. I removed the ability to use Mod2, Mod3 and Mod5 as a modifier, this
fixes the problem.

#107 2010-09-06 09:22:42

Psyce

portix wrote:
Psyce wrote:

This is not possible at the moment but I can make this behaviour configurable.

Looking forward to it.

#108 2010-09-07 10:38:44

Psyce

Hey Portix,

found another thing. When I wanna open a bookmark, I have to open it in the current view (tab how u wanna call it) or open a new one (for the new I have to browse to google or something first). Would be nice if there is a keybinding for "open bookmark in new view"

greetz

#109 2010-09-07 13:24:57

portix

Psyce wrote:

Hey Portix,

found another thing. When I wanna open a bookmark, I have to open it in the current view (tab how u wanna call it) or open a new one (for the new I have to browse to google or something first). Would be nice if there is a keybinding for "open bookmark in new view"

greetz

Added in the current revision, the default keybinding is gB for a new view or tab and wB for a new window. I also added the keybindings
V and W, the first will open the next navigation in a new view, the latter in a new window.

Edit: btw, you don't have to browse to google, you can also open a new empty view with "ga".

Last edited by portix (2010-09-07 13:28:30)

#110 2010-09-07 14:33:17

Psyce

Yeah thx, saw that browsing the wiki again but forgot to edit my post. THX for the fast added bindings.

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-07 14:33:53)

#111 2010-09-07 17:17:39

d2ogch3n

Hi Portix,

I've been using dwb for some time now and wanted to say thanks for your efforts. One question I have is regarding the searchengine keycommand 'gs' which adds an entry to a file in ~/.config/dwb/searchengines. I would like to know the intended use of this, and the method. I am assuming that as in uzbl and jumanji etc. I can enter the command mode and execute a search with my preferred ehgine.

Any help appreciated.

#112 2010-09-07 20:44:55

portix

d2ogch3n wrote:

Hi Portix,

I've been using dwb for some time now and wanted to say thanks for your efforts. One question I have is regarding the searchengine keycommand 'gs' which adds an entry to a file in ~/.config/dwb/searchengines. I would like to know the intended use of this, and the method. I am assuming that as in uzbl and jumanji etc. I can enter the command mode and execute a search with my preferred ehgine.

Any help appreciated.

I can give you an example: If you added a wikipediasearch with the keyword 'w' you can search on wikipedia using the
open-, viewopen-, or winopen-command and and typing "w <your search>". Without a keyword the first entry in
~/.config/dwb/searchengines is used.

#113 2010-09-07 20:56:53

d2ogch3n

portix wrote:
d2ogch3n wrote:

Hi Portix,

Any help appreciated.

I can give you an example: If you added a wikipediasearch with the keyword 'w' you can search on wikipedia using the
open-, viewopen-, or winopen-command and and typing "w <your search>". Without a keyword the first entry in
~/.config/dwb/searchengines is used.

Thanks, that works great.

#114 2010-09-08 17:39:36

Psyce

Hi portix,

maybe its only for me, but the find feature is broken. When I search for something it only highlights the first letter and jumps to them.

Explanation: Searching for Download all D/d's are highligthed.

Edit: I have to write the complete word in CAPITAL letters that he finds it.

Can you test if its only on my machine?

Thx in advance
Psyce

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-08 17:41:26)

#115 2010-09-09 08:48:24

Shender

Hi, portix,

is it possible to use urls on the webpage as arguments for system bash scripts?

#116 2010-09-09 15:23:36

portix

Psyce wrote:

Hi portix,

maybe its only for me, but the find feature is broken. When I search for something it only highlights the first letter and jumps to them.

Explanation: Searching for Download all D/d's are highligthed.

Edit: I have to write the complete word in CAPITAL letters that he finds it.

Can you test if its only on my machine?

Thx in advance
Psyce

I cannot test it in the next days, since i won't have access to a linux machine, but i will test it will test it when possible.

Shender wrote:

Hi, portix,

is it possible to use urls on the webpage as arguments for system bash scripts?

It is not possible at the moment but i already thought about adding this feature.

#117 2010-09-09 19:45:49

Psyce

portix wrote:

I cannot test it in the next days, since i won't have access to a linux machine, but i will test it will test it when possible.

nooooooooooo XD, but maybe another user of your browser can test it.

#118 2010-09-09 20:58:03

Psyce

OK bad news, somehow this time it randomly crashed without any flashplayer open. This time it was only a tab of archlinux forums and one with facebook. Don't know how much flash is involed by facebook.

The thing with the find is working again like a charm. Reboot fixed it I think.

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-09 22:13:03)

#119 2010-09-16 23:15:38

Pobega

Any chance we'll see a session saving feature sometime soon, perhaps to mitigate the frustration of dwb crashing? I love dwb, but it crashes quite a bit...

Just so you know, to reproduce a crash you can load a website in a new view, then switch back to your original view and try using j/k to scroll up and down a lot. Using the mouse wheel seems to make it crash more often, also.

I might try taking a look at the source code tonight, but I'm more of a systems guy so I doubt I'll get too far. Portix, maybe you'd be willing to take me under your wing and do a little bit of hand holding? I'd be able to take some of the development off of your shoulders, I've just never worked on a large scale project before.

#120 2010-09-17 11:29:15

portix

Pobega wrote:

Any chance we'll see a session saving feature sometime soon, perhaps to mitigate the frustration of dwb crashing? I love dwb, but it crashes quite a bit...

Just so you know, to reproduce a crash you can load a website in a new view, then switch back to your original view and try using j/k to scroll up and down a lot. Using the mouse wheel seems to make it crash more often, also.

I might try taking a look at the source code tonight, but I'm more of a systems guy so I doubt I'll get too far. Portix, maybe you'd be willing to take me under your wing and do a little bit of hand holding? I'd be able to take some of the development off of your shoulders, I've just never worked on a large scale project before.

It would be easy to have a session saving feature (it is implemented already but sessions can only be saved explicitily at the moment), but i have not much time this month. The strange thing is, that i hadn't any crashes for weeks and also cannot reproduce the crash with your described steps. It would be great, if you could create a backtrace and maybe post it on the bitbucket bug tracker, i think the forum is not the right place for this. To compile dwb with debugging symbols you can change to the src-directory and compile it with

make debug

Any help with dwb is welcome, so if you are still interested you can contact me via bitbucket (or the forum email).

Edit:
I made a small change, the current session will be saved when dwb crashes and can be restored with dwb -r.

Last edited by portix (2010-09-17 11:38:08)

#121 2010-09-17 15:22:17

Psyce

***MEMORY-ERROR***: dwb[5697]: GSlice: assertion failed: sinfo->n_allocated > 0
zsh: abort      ./dwb/src/dwb

first new failure, came after i read a news on www.shortnews.de and went back to the site before.

Ps. I used the make debug and know using dwb-debug to browse. Where is the file written to?

Edit:

(dwb-debug:2388): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_events: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(dwb-debug:2388): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(dwb-debug:2388): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Success.

this came out after dwb crashed

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-17 19:05:33)

#122 2010-09-18 09:56:50

portix

I also cannot reproduce a crash on shortnews.de. There will no output file with simply running dwb with debugging symbols.
To create a backtrace you can can use a debugger like gdb. The steps with gdb are
* compile with debugging symbols (>make debug)
* run gdb (>gdb dwb-debug)
* in running gdb instance enable logging (>set logging on)
* start dwb from gdb (>run)
* make dwb crash
* create a backtrace (>backtrace)
* exit gdb (>quit)
The output of gdb is written to gdb.txt.
Thanks in advance.

#123 2010-09-18 14:38:03

Psyce

Ok this is strange since i am surfing with gdb on no crash wanna come XD but lets se for the future

[Edit] It's awfully stable with the debugging thing. Not one crash since I began to use it.

Last edited by Psyce (2010-09-19 02:31:34)

#124 2010-09-30 20:25:43

Psyce

hey portix,

heard nothing from you for a long time. So I wanna know if you're taking a break or have no time for developing dwb.

greetz
Psyce

#125 2010-09-30 20:39:47

gtklocker

Ok, I just started using dwb and I find it really good. If only I could change some font settings and find out how to make use of tabs!

(oh, and adblock of course)

Board footer