You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-18 12:38:16

droog

Bootscript testing?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way (besides rebooting your computer) to test init/bootscripts.
I'm messing around with lfs and am trying to get it setup right. It seems like there should be a way to emulate the boot process to see if there are any errors.
It boots in 10-12 seconds so its not that big of a deal unless i screw something up, but then i get to boot into arch to fix it : )

#2 2005-04-18 13:16:42

lucke

Re: Bootscript testing?

Well, the only thing that could help you a bit that comes to my mind is kexec. But I guess the effort of setting it up wouldn't be worth it, compared with the resulting minor decrease of booting time ;-)

-edit-
Ah, using some virtual machine (qemu?) for boot testing would be probably more convenient.

#3 2005-04-18 13:38:05

droog

qemu looks like it would work, just install it on my arch then boot lfs from there and play with it. I was hoping there was a script that woul check it and log the output or something.  I need to get my daemons working, without syslogd running i have no logs to check to see any errors, etc.
I need to read more of the docs though, im sure i wouldnt be having these problems if i didn't get impatient.

#4 2005-04-18 14:02:53

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the arch bootscripts can be run with:

/etc/rc.d/<initscript> {start,stop,restart}

that is exactly how the init process starts them...

if you want to test different run levels (i.e. rc.sysinit), you can use "telinit" to switch the run level.... "telinit 1" will switch to runlevel 1 and just run through sysinit...

#5 2005-04-19 08:59:59

droog

I managed to write an rc.d script that works for sysklogd and klogd (hopefully the only daemon im going to run),  I'm still configuring those and seeing if i actually need both. after the installation i'm taking a break from docs for a few days and just trying to wing it.
it's mainly rc.sysinit i'm trying to make as streamline as possible and wanting to test.  I'll have to check out telinit when i reboot. My modem i have right now isnt supported under linux so im forced to use windows for now.

Board footer