You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-18 15:18:19

surfer_rosa

Strange permission problem [SOLVED]

My /etc/fstab :

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>         <dir>                   <type>          <options>               <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts                 devpts          defaults                0      0
none                   /dev/shm                 tmpfs           defaults                0      0
tmpfs                  /tmp                     tmpfs           defaults                0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb            usbfs           defaults                0      0

/dev/hdc1              /home/iain/mydocs        auto            auto,user,sync,rw       0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cd                  iso9660         ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/dvd                 udf             ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/floppy/0          /mnt/fl                  vfat            user,noauto             0      0

/dev/discs/disc1/part6 swap                     swap            defaults                0      0
/dev/discs/disc1/part5 /                        reiserfs        defaults                0      0

Very tidy isn't it? smile Hopefully thats not whats causing the problem.

Line 9 is where i've been having trouble. As you can see i'm mounting a hard drive (which contains my documents). This should mount it in /home/iain/mydocs which has full permissions (the empty folder).

On boot, the filesystem gets mounted successfully but with these permissions:

drwxr-xr-x  16 root root  32768 1970-01-01 01:00 mydocs

(note strange time stamp :?)

Obviously those permissions do not give me full write access as a user. I can unmount and remount it as a user but still get:

drwxr-xr-x  16 iain users 32768 1970-01-01 01:00 mydocs

And even if i:

chmod -R 777 mydocs/

i still get those permissions.

Any ideas? I've tried changing 'user' to 'users' in my /etc/fstab but the only difference that makes (that ive noticed anyway) is that i can unmount the filesystem when its owned by root as a normal user.

I've also tried changing 'auto' to 'vfat' for 'type' in my fstab to no effect. I've definitely used the hard disk before in linux and had full write support.

As always - any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Iain

#2 2005-04-18 15:22:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Strange permission problem [SOLVED]

try umask=0666 (there's other masks which I can't recall exactly... dmask?)

#3 2005-04-18 17:15:00

shadowhand
Website

Strangely, I've found that changing the ownership of the empty folder ( chown -R user:users ) then doing it again after the drive is mounted fixes the problem.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#4 2005-04-18 17:40:07

surfer_rosa

shadowhand wrote:

Strangely, I've found that changing the ownership of the empty folder ( chown -R user:users ) then doing it again after the drive is mounted fixes the problem.

Tried that but the folder was already owned by me so it didn't have an effect. Cheers though.

try umask=0666 (there's other masks which I can't recall exactly... dmask?)

Fantastic phrakture! Did the trick! Thanking you!

#5 2005-04-18 22:45:54

FUBAR
Website

You can also use the option

uid=surfer_rosa,gid=users

This way, everything will be owned by surfer_rosa:users instead of by root:root.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#6 2005-04-19 18:35:38

surfer_rosa

FUBAR wrote:

You can also use the option

uid=surfer_rosa,gid=users

This way, everything will be owned by surfer_rosa:users instead of by root:root.

ahh wondered about that cheers.

Board footer