You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-03 21:27:54

jiehong
Website

[SOLVED] Alsa : getting mic recording in speaker when recording

Hi!

My sound card (HDA ICH8) sound card works pretty well and I had no troubles with it. The only things I'd like to get to work is to listen to what i am recording with my speaker (well, with my headset actually). So My mic is plugged in the 3,5" jack port.

I haven't found anything on the wiki nor on the forums so I ned some help if you can.

Last edited by jiehong (2010-09-07 21:43:34)

#2 2010-09-06 19:51:01

Darksoul71

Re: [SOLVED] Alsa : getting mic recording in speaker when recording

Hi,

not shure what you are asking for:
You have a headset with mic connected to your soundcard and need to hear your mic via headset while you speak ?
If yes, then
...check first that your mic is connected to the right port and working correctly (e.g. record some words with audacity or gnome recorder)
...choose your mic input inside the playback mixer, crank it up and listen to your mic smile

If mic is not visible then check for the mixer inside the ALSA mixer setup.

HTH,
D$

My archlinux x86_64 host:
AMD E350 (2x1.6GHz) / 8GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce 9500GT (passive) / Arch running from 16GB USB Stick

#3 2010-09-07 07:24:32

jiehong
Website

So yes my mic is well plugged in and I can record what ever I want with audacity. But when I record something I can't hear to what I am currently recording. I've tested with another mic and with my speakers but the problem remains the same.

I've checked my alsamixer but I can't find anything related with having a "loop back" when I am recording.
I have something weird because my alsamixer don't even show me a simple «mic» but only «mic boost» lines.
Here is a screenshot of alsamixer showing all input/output (click to enlarge) : alsamixer.png

#4 2010-09-07 20:50:37

Darksoul71

Hm, what about the two front mic sliders on the left side of mic boost ?
Hard to imagine that a sound card doesn´t allow to to hear your mic input.
Another "solution" could be using pulseaudio or jack to route your mic input.

Sorry, otherwise I am out of ideas...

AMD E350 (2x1.6GHz) / 8GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce 9500GT (passive) / Arch running from 16GB USB Stick

#5 2010-09-07 21:00:05

Gusar

I don't know where I've read this, or if I even remember correctly, but I think it's a hardware limitation, that hda-intel is simply not capable of this. I know I had it working on an old laptop, but that laptop has an AC'97 sound card, not hda-intel. If you just want to hear what you're speaking and not record it at the same time, a simple 'arecord | aplay' will work, otherwise no idea.

#6 2010-09-07 21:43:01

jiehong
Website

The two front mic boost lines are for my build-in mic which i don't like so I don't use it. But I've tried with it and it's the same…

Well, I don't feel like installing pulse audio just for that… nor changing my alsa for pulse audio… So, if what you say is right, Gusar, I should buy a sound card someday…

I'm turning this topic title to solved because I know I can do it with pulse audio. Thank you guys for helping smile

#7 2010-09-08 09:06:07

Gusar

Hmm, these people here can do it: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6416206

#8 2010-09-08 14:35:29

Darksoul71

jiehong, I can understand if you do not feel like installing PA.
In fact PA (and the more and more coming integration) what the reason why I turned away from Ubuntu and switched to arch smile

I still feel that jack is the way to go:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JACK

I am not shure if it is available on arch but qjackctl is a nice qt frontend to manage jack:
http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/

Edit: qjackctl is available from aur:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26766

The "only" thing you actually need to do is routing your mic input to the corresponding default system playback device.
I think that Jack has a lower footprint in regards to resources compared to PA.

Last edited by Darksoul71 (2010-09-08 14:36:46)

#9 2010-09-11 09:56:58

jiehong
Website

Eventually i've found out how to make my mic loop bac to work without jack or Pulse Audio.

I thought that maybe Alsa did not load the right thing for my sound card so I've tried to put :
"options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo" to my /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf to tell the kernel to use the right codec.

My computer is an ASUS, so I really can't figure out why it's working with the "lenovo" one. But it appears not to work with all the ASUS ones so I had to try to found another one…

So, that's working now and my alsamixer gives me a lot more choices and the mic loop back is working just fine.

Board footer