You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-17 19:47:25

napoleon

gnome panels missing

I just reinstalled my whole arch system. I have installed xorg and now i have installed gnome and gnome-extra following the wiki. the problem is when is startx, gnome starts alright but there is no panel at the top and buttom of the screen. I hope you know what i mean.

Like the panel at the bottom with the window switcher and application start button like in windows. How do i get it back? I have reinstall gnome several times without success.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#2 2005-04-18 00:05:13

darkcoder

Re: gnome panels missing

have you tryied erasing all the gnome config files on your home dir before login again?

#3 2005-04-18 06:52:36

JGC
Developer

Found the bug. The last gnome-panel package doesn't install the panel-default-setup.entries, because it is not a gconf schema and shouldn't be in that location.

Upgraders don't see anything of this bug, but it affects newly installed gnome-panels.

The panel-default-setup.entries file has to be registered in the gconf database to get initial panels on top and bottom of your gnome panel.

#4 2005-04-18 11:44:20

napoleon

Gee sorry, but where is the panel-default-setup.entries file and how do i register it in the gconf database ?

thnx

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#5 2005-04-18 15:26:21

miracle

I also had that problem,and reinstalled gnome several times too.
after  downgraded the gnome-panel then it work well .
Maybe you need delete the user  and it's HOME dir  then adduser again .

#6 2005-04-18 15:55:38

JGC
Developer

Try the script uploaded to this place:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&id=2513

When I invented the .install framework for gnome applications, I made an error. Someone else took this buggy version into ghex (I fixed it in my first package). After a while, I've been using the file from ghex as template. Just change pkgname and include it, should work.

On upgrades, nothing was wrong. On clean installations however, things do break.

I'm still fixing packages now and then while I update them or when I find them, but in the meanwhile, run the script from the bugreport, it queries pacman for all installed schemas and registers them in the GConf database.

Be sure to kill all gconfd-2 processes after running the script as root.

#7 2005-04-18 18:10:43

napoleon

JGC i just tried your script. i run it as root and it seemed to do what you said. then i typed killall gconfd-2. After which i started gnome-session again and the problem was still there.

thnx.

#8 2005-04-18 20:30:52

kcy29581

JGC,

when do you think this problem will be fixed? As in, a fresh installation of gnome & gnome-extra actually works without the need for a script?

There is no spoon in Arch...

#9 2005-04-19 21:31:12

darkcoder

the script works with the problem I have with the battery applet which refuse to work, and now it works again.  But when removing all gnome related configs from my home dir, and login again, the system still do not recreate the basic panels well.  Only the top panel is shown, but empty and bigger than supposed to (48 pixels).

#10 2005-04-20 21:21:19

JGC
Developer

I "fixed" gnome-panel to install the default-setup.entries gconf stuff on postinstall, but as "" says, it wasn't.

The -3 version of gnome-panel fixes the default panel setup. If you want to get the default panel layout without purging your other settings, run this:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

then watch closely how gnome-panel crashes, hit the restart button and your panel is restored to default settings.

#11 2005-04-21 20:46:40

napoleon

JGC  i am sorry to be a kill joy but the gnome-panel hasn't done iy for me. The script didn't either. Infact i just upgraded my entire system to curent bar the kernel and ati drivers and rebooted.

I also run gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel.

BTW i will like to down grade gnome and gnome-extra. Which version is last known to have worked. How do i go about it?

Thanks.

#12 2005-04-21 23:26:32

xerxes2
Website

you can't downgrade binaries in Arch, you have to wait for the fix or you can compile it yourself,

use a *box or something until JGC fixed it,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#13 2005-05-17 11:45:46

dogbait

is there any news on when this problem, with gnome's panels missing on a new install, might be fixed?

------------------edit--------------------

nevermind, after removing my .gconf* directories as well as .gtkrc* it began working.

Board footer