You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 11:32:29

Gunslinger24

HP Pavilion doesn't detect its power source

I've got an HP Pavilion dv6142ea with everything (afaik) working fine except one thing, I can't get acpi to detect its power source. Everytime I run "acpi -a" it says "on-line", even if it isn't. Everything else works just fine (even suspend and hibernate through pm-utils), but I can't get this thing to behave like it's supposed to and it bothers me that every setting on gnome-power-manager "on battery" is useless. If I boot it without the power cord, "acpi -a" reports "off-line", but if I plug and unplug it again it returns to always "on-line".

Sometimes, when I leave the computer on for a couple of hours it starts working fine, detecting when I plug or unplug the cord but any other time it's just "on-line" all the time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gunslinger24 (2010-09-10 13:01:12)

#2 2010-09-11 09:41:42

xvello
Website

Re: HP Pavilion doesn't detect its power source

Hello

It would be helpful to have a look at your kernel messages : type dmesg in a console before and after plugging/unplugging your power cord and see if something new appears. Also look at "dmesg | grep power" and "dmesg | grep acpi" for error messages.
It probably is a kernel issue, not a misconfiguration, you might have to open a bug in the archlinux / kernel bugtrackers.

Regards

#3 2010-09-11 21:39:36

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: HP Pavilion doesn't detect its power source

What does acpitool say?

You might want to look at /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state and see if things change there when you plug/unplug the charger, if they don't then I guess not many programs will be able to get the real power state.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer