kernel26-2.6.11.7-1      [################] 100%   14799K   520.0K/s  00:00:28
 mozilla-firefox-1.0.3-1  [################] 100%   11837K   551.4K/s  00:00:21

checking package integrity... done.
error: this will break the following dependencies:
  mozilla: is required by evolution-data-server

#2 2005-04-18 05:19:39

k-dub

Re: conflict: mozilla and mozilla-firefox

Same problem here. Firefox can't replace Mozilla if using Evolution, aparently.

#3 2005-04-18 05:32:43

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

file a bug report - it appears this was a recent change

#4 2005-04-18 10:29:17

Mordrek

The gaim-encryption plugin requires Mozilla too (but i guess there isn't that many users).

pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
:: current is up to date
:: extra is up to date
:: mozilla-firefox conflicts with mozilla. Remove mozilla? [Y/n]

Remove:  mozilla

Targets: cvsup-16.1h-3 eel-2.10.1-1 epiphany-1.6.2-1 gail-1.8.3-1 gcalctool-5.5.42-1 gdm-2.6.0.9-1 gnome-desktop-2.10.1-1
         gnome-games-2.10.1-1 gnome-panel-2.10.1-2 gnome-python-extras-2.10.1-1 gnome-system-monitor-2.10.1-1
         gnome-themes-2.10.1-1 gnome-vfs-2.10.1-1 gtk-engines-2.6.3-1 libgtop-2.10.1-1 metacity-2.10.1-2
         mozilla-firefox-1.0.3-1 nautilus-2.10.1-1 nautilus-cd-burner-2.10.1-1 orbit2-2.12.2-1

Total Package Size:   40.4 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n]

error: this will break the following dependencies:
  mozilla: is required by gaim-encryption
  mozilla: is required by evolution-data-server

#5 2005-04-18 10:56:24

shiner_man
Website

# pacman -S mozilla
# pacman -Syu

That should fix it.

#6 2005-04-18 14:36:41

rosh

I read this on the bug reports, and posted there as well, but it doesn't fix it.  Here is my output:

#pacman -S mozilla

Targets: mozilla-1.7.7-1

Total Package Size:   12.5 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n]

:: Retrieving packages from extra...
 mozilla-1.7.7-1          [################] 100%   12761K   581.3K/s  00:00:21

loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts... done.
upgrading mozilla... done.
# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 current                  [################] 100%      45K   111.2K/s  00:00:00
:: extra is up to date

error: mozilla-firefox conflicts with gecko-sdk

The solution that worked for me was to upgrade mozilla and mozilla-firefox on their own, and then use pacman to upgrade the rest of the packages.

#7 2005-04-18 17:06:37

yowwww

not sure this is the best method, but it works...

pacman -Syfd mozilla-firefox
pacman -Sfd mozilla
pacman -Su

#8 2005-04-18 17:40:17

Moo-Crumpus

It's time to remove mozilla from dependencies, isn't it.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#9 2005-04-18 18:13:32

shiner_man
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

It's time to remove mozilla from dependencies, isn't it.

I agree!

#10 2005-04-18 19:13:40

rosh

I fully proclaim my ignorance and am asking this question in the spirit of learning (ie, I am not criticizing package maintainers).  From what I understand, a dependency between software exists when one software requires a resource that another software provides.  If this is true, then the comments calling for removing dependencies seem to only make sense if a particular version of a package had a dependency (as defined above) and its current version does not; hence, the PKGBUILDS that define dependencies need to be updated by updating the appropriate line. 

This seems to be fairly mundane and easy, so my question is am I missing something here?  It seems that part of what we mean by package maintenance is keeping the dependency line up to date, as well as updating version numbers.  Again, not trying to bash our valiant package maintainers, just curious as to what my naive viewpoint is lacking?

#11 2005-04-18 19:18:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think what happened here is changes in the dependancy lines of the PKGBUILDs - as you can see, mozilla and firefox can reside side by side.  However, the previous packages were slightly different.

#12 2005-04-18 20:33:55

JGC
Developer

The problem with this is slightly complicated:

first:
- mozilla provided nss-nspr and gecko-sdk
- firefox didn't

- firefox provides nss-nspr and gecko-sdk
- mozilla doesn't

In the first situation, you had mozilla installed for programs like yelp from testing, evolution-data-server, mplayer-plugin, galeon, epiphany, etc. Some of these packages required mozilla, some of them nss-nspr, some others gecko-sdk, which were all provided by mozilla. Then as main browser, you used firefox, mozilla was just on your system to fulfill some dependency.

In the current situation, firefox provides all these things, while mozilla is just a plain internet application suite now. We had reasons for this, since mozilla is a dead end in the near future.

When pacman upgrades these, it doesn't look very good at dependency state:
- mozilla 1.7.6 provides and conflicts nss-nspr and gecko-sdk
- firefox 1.0.3 provides and conflicts them too

Now firefox won't upgrade with mozilla 1.7.6 on your system, because it conflicts. Instead of thinking that mozilla 1.7.7 will fix this, pacman aborts with an error and leaves the user to a problem solving case.

This whole mozilla issue stuff turns pacman into some kind of RPM Dependency hell, with the exception that in the end your package dependencies are either fulfilled or forced.

#13 2005-04-18 21:13:12

rosh

JGC, thank you for your clear and insightful post as to the conflict resolution.  However, I would like to explore this a little further.  From what you said I gather that mozilla 1.7.6 package provided a few resources which other packages depended on.  Upgrading firefox was a problem because it would conflict with the resources provided in mozilla 1.7.6.  The solution given was to update mozilla and firefox on their own.  However, why did pacman allow this?  The process involved first upgrading mozilla to 1.7.7.  However, as was described, this version of the package did not contain resources that 1.7.6 did and other packages were dependent on.  So, the upgrade from 1.7.6 to 1.7.7 should not have occurred because it would take away resources that other packages depended on.  Yet, upgrading from 1.7.6 to 1.7.7 (on its own) did not yelp about removing resources that other packages depended on.

#14 2005-04-18 21:20:53

k-dub

Can the Firefox package specify

provides('mozilla')

or whatever the correct syntax is?

I had to do something similar when I created my own PHP package with FastCGI support. Other things depended on the php package, but my package (php-fcgi) and the original php package conflicted.

#15 2005-04-18 21:40:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

k-dub wrote:

Can the Firefox package specify

provides('mozilla')

or whatever the correct syntax is?.

no, because firefox doesn't provide mozilla... it provides some other things....

by illustration:

package A: provides=('depend1','depend2')
package B: provides=()

the newest versions of mozilla and firefox made it look like this:

package A: provides=()
package B: provides=('depend1','depend2')

what you're saying is to make package B provide 'package A' - which doesn't make sense...

#16 2005-04-18 22:52:05

mezoko
Website

Is this gonna be worked out cause if it not I might not stay with arch

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#17 2005-04-18 23:07:24

rosh

To be clear, this problem is easily solved, so no need to leave arch for this.  The solution is to install mozilla and firefox separately, then do your pacman -Syu.  Further, this *should* not happen everytime firefox and mozilla get upgraded because they have already made the switch to having firefox providing the resources that mozilla had provided.  In short, the workaround is simple and works:

pacman -S mozilla
pacman -S firefox
pacman -Syu

#18 2005-04-18 23:10:24

mezoko
Website

rosh wrote:

To be clear, this problem is easily solved, so no need to leave arch for this.  The solution is to install mozilla and firefox separately, then do your pacman -Syu.  Further, this *should* not happen everytime firefox and mozilla get upgraded because they have already made the switch to having firefox providing the resources that mozilla had provided.  In short, the workaround is simple and works:

pacman -S mozilla
pacman -S firefox
pacman -Syu

well what i did was removed mozilla reinstalled mozilla than installed gecko-sdk cuase I was yelled for not having it then installed firefox what a pain

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#19 2005-04-19 22:08:08

mdk
Website

It seems it broke my gecko-sharp ( & blam)

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
in <0x00000> <unknown method>
in (wrapper managed-to-native) Imendio.Blam.Utils:blam_gecko_utils_init_services ()
in <0x00007> Imendio.Blam.Utils:GeckoInit ()
in <0x00108> Imendio.Blam.Application:.ctor (System.String[] args, System.Object[] props)
in <0x00030> Imendio.Blam.Application:Main (System.String[] args)

MDK
Open Source Software Operations/Nokia
michael.kostrzewa (at) nokia.com

#20 2005-04-20 00:14:37

rosh

Please post the results of the upgrade with pacman and the command you ran to get the output you posted.  It would help in debugging.

#21 2005-04-25 07:48:25

archdaemon

rosh wrote:

pacman -S mozilla
pacman -S firefox
pacman -Syu

This looks like old news but I haven't booted Arch in a few days. You're saying I *have* to install Firefox to use Gnome? That's like asking me to install emacs. No deal. Will uninstalling Gnome make pacman shut up? I'm just playing with Gnome but a lot of things besides Gnome relied on mozilla. As is, it won't even show me what it would like to update or let me do anything else - simply whines about firefox and craps out.

I hate to break it to people but mozilla isn't going anywhere any time soon. 1.7.x is due for security updates for a couple of years and there's a project to bring out a non-mofo version of the suite.

I'm just one user and in the minority camp besides, so I know it doesn't make any difference but I'm still saying this is a dealbreaker for me. My box (1) has mozilla and (2) does not have fIrEfox. If a distro requires otherwise, it's not my distro.

Not flaming or screaming or acting like it's a big deal to the cosmos - just saying what's what.

#22 2005-04-25 08:32:48

archdaemon

Okay - adding firefox and yelp to the ignore list in pacman.conf and doing a system upgrade, then manually adding yelp with the '-d' switch and creating 'firefox{-1.0.3}' symlinks to mozilla's libs and maybe running ldconfig (what the hell) works. Probably play hell with future upgrades, though.

On a completely unrelated subject, my frigging clock-applet doesn't want to load anymore, but everything else seems fine.

There should be a way to specify that you need *either* A or B if both cover it or a way to include the symlinks for firefox in the mozilla package and for mozilla in the firefox package so it doesn't make any difference and people can use whatever they want to instead of being forced into the 'hip' thing.

There's also some article around somewhere about compiling apps with a particular flag to make them more flexible when it comes to locating libs but I can't remember where or what it was.

#23 2005-04-25 12:37:53

oscar

msg43 wrote:

Is this gonna be worked out cause if it not I might not stay with arch

It is already fixed.
Just update and upgrade.

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#24 2005-05-13 14:43:08

Poprocks

archdaemon wrote:

This looks like old news but I haven't booted Arch in a few days. You're saying I *have* to install Firefox to use Gnome? That's like asking me to install emacs. No deal. Will uninstalling Gnome make pacman shut up? I'm just playing with Gnome but a lot of things besides Gnome relied on mozilla. As is, it won't even show me what it would like to update or let me do anything else - simply whines about firefox and craps out.

What you're saying doesn't really make any sense -- you said you only kept Mozilla because a whole lot of things depended on it, aside from GNOME.  Well the whole point of what's happened is that Firefox is now serving as the backend to many of these packages, rather than Mozilla.

So now instead of keeping Mozilla around for satisfying dependencies, you're keeping Firefox, a browser that probably takes up a little *less* space then the browser you were keeping around before.  Unless there are still some stale packs that rely on Mozilla, you could safely remove it after the upgrade is complete.

And in the future, the package you'll have as a backend will probably be XulRunner -- and I highly await that day -- I don't care how long & hard the upgrade is, it'd be a small price to pay to *finally* have a *common* XUL-running and GRE platform on which to base applications.

I take my Poprocks with Diet Pepsi

#25 2005-05-14 01:03:38

android

I'm not sure if I'm unique but I have both mozilla and firefox installed after the last pacman -Syu and neither of them work.

EMERGENCY!!! My browser is not working!!!

Sorry, just a little melodrama 8-)

But, in fact, it is somewhat of an emergency for me.

I've found that in general pacman -Syu does not work for me. Something requires tweaking afterward. Minor tweaking, or MAJOR tweaking. Mozilla and thunderbird are often at the heart of the trouble and I depend on both of these for daily operations (this is NOT a game machine, although I have a 5 year old and a broken game machine can be a different kind of emergency 8-)

So I've gotten into the habit of getting my machine running AND LEAVING IT ALONE. Unfortunately time does march on, and once I come around to NEEDING to upgrade then it's always a MAJOR tweaking effort.

This kind of brings us up to the present.

mozilla 1.7.7 and mozilla-firefox 1.0.4 are both installed.

If I type mozilla or mozilla-firefox on the command line, nothing happens!

No return to the prompt, no output, nothing (I used to get the Seg Fault mozilla-sh $(1+($PROG)) error with 1.7.7, now I get nothing).

I had prviously just been downgrading mozilla back to 1.7.3 to make things work. Now I'm not allowed to remove firefox, and it conflicts with the older mozilla, so I can't downgrade, so NO MOZILLA!!!!

That brings us completely up to the emergency. I'm posting this with konqueror, which is nice but not adequate for my surfing requirements.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You...

android

Board footer