You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-02 07:25:18

NiconPhantom

Can't poweroff if APIC is enabled

Hi

If I disable APIC, System Information display only 1 core instead 4. If I enable APIC in Bios I can't poweroff my computer, system halt all processes and display "POWER OFF" without any action. Is there any solution to fix this problem?

Best regards,
Alex

#2 2010-09-12 18:03:49

NiconPhantom

Re: Can't poweroff if APIC is enabled

Somebody? Any idea?

Maybe motherboard model can help to give some advice.... My motherboard model is ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 with old one i had no problem :-(

#3 2010-09-13 03:15:14

kagerato
Website

Re: Can't poweroff if APIC is enabled

You won't get much response without more information...

For hardware issues, try presenting at least these:

(1) Exact hardware involved.  (In this case, CPU and the chipsets used in the north and south bridges would be good.)
(2) Kernel version ("uname -a") and kernel config (relevant module subsystem and module data, or paste-bin the whole config from /boot).
(3) Output of "dmesg" command.  (You can also find it at /var/log/dmesg.log  .)
(4) Versions of any installed packages which might be relevant.  In this case, we're looking for software related to power management, init scripts, and so forth.
(5) Any warning, error, or suspicious messages logged that plausibly could be related.  (Sort through the files in /var/log  for this information.)

You shouldn't need to disable APIC.  Try looking around the BIOS for other options connecting to startup and shutdown.  For example, some BIOSes have explicit options allowing you to control whether software can shut down the machine.  (When disabled, you're forced to use the switch.)

Other information that can be useful in this kind of context is what kind of behavior you get from other operating systems you may have installed.  For example, does shutdown work correctly in Windows using the same BIOS settings?

{EDIT}: Oh, I had another idea after seeing a separate poster's problem.  Do you have acpid installed and running?  I seem to recall reading elsewhere that this was required to make certain power button functions operate correctly, so perhaps it is related.

Last edited by kagerato (2010-09-13 03:50:15)

Board footer