You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-13 01:20:52

bpont
Banned

X crash/exit: fullscreen YouTube, run xscreensaver-demo, armagetronad

X immediately crashes and exits whenever I try fullscreening a YouTube video, running xscreensaver-demo or the game armagetronad.

Hardware:

Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 845G

Driver:

xf86-video-intel-2.12.0-1

Could someone help me troubleshoot?

#2 2010-09-13 12:26:16

karol
Archivist

Re: X crash/exit: fullscreen YouTube, run xscreensaver-demo, armagetronad

You have an ooold, unsupported card.
If you're using 32-bit, I can send you an old xorg-server and friends, so you can check if it helps.
armagetronad is a 3D game, and you have a crappy card, so things like that can happen.

#3 2010-09-13 17:06:21

RJQ
Website

I had to said (unfortunately) welcome to the club....
Not every thing is lost but you are not going to have a nice experience with the outcome, what is your WM / DE? I know now for sure that KDE is a no go with this card&driver, (something that is really taking me to my nerves) gnome still playing nice with no crashes, lxde as well, video from flash is not the best but is working (like youtube hulu etc.) I use often gimp, inkscape and blender (as much as this old computer let me) with no other problem, I have no experience in games therefore can't tell.

I have no xorg.conf files, have not touched anything in xorg.conf.d folther either, up to date system, same video card (845) in a p4 computer. only crashes in the last two months where on kde (and with kde apps installed in other DE) sometimes with video or with blender. I would give it try with a fresh install but do not expect too much out of this video card, like Karol said is nowadays unsupported.

Last edited by RJQ (2010-09-13 17:07:02)

Natural Spanish speaker person babbling English...
Natural Linux user babbling Archlinux...

#4 2010-09-13 17:23:46

karol
Archivist

RJQ wrote:

I had to said (unfortunately) welcome to the club....
Not every thing is lost but you are not going to have a nice experience with the outcome, what is your WM / DE? I know now for sure that KDE is a no go with this card&driver, (something that is really taking me to my nerves) gnome still playing nice with no crashes, lxde as well, video from flash is not the best but is working (like youtube hulu etc.) I use often gimp, inkscape and blender (as much as this old computer let me) with no other problem, I have no experience in games therefore can't tell.

I have no xorg.conf files, have not touched anything in xorg.conf.d folther either, up to date system, same video card (845) in a p4 computer. only crashes in the last two months where on kde (and with kde apps installed in other DE) sometimes with video or with blender. I would give it try with a fresh install but do not expect too much out of this video card, like Karol said is nowadays unsupported.

A bit OT, but does your GPU hang? Mine does a lot with the current drivers resulting in loss of hardware acceleration :-(

#5 2010-09-13 18:09:30

RJQ
Website

@Karol
I have not had a single problem in gnome, other than the usual slow opening of windows and processing big files, but never (since I installed a couple of months ago) had any graphical issues, I even had the gnome compositing on, I've had no idea how to tell GPU performance, I do not know if, I have the compositing enabled means that 3d acceleration is ok, if it does then I have not lose it at all, contrary I have this problem in KDE or LXDE with KDE apps, which I believe had to do with the incapacity of hardware accel, how ever restarting x did not fix the problem, I had to reboot which makes me suspect of something else is also adding to this problems, kernel probably.... I still refusing to let this old machine die just yet wink but new software will tell neutral

#6 2010-09-13 18:21:30

karol
Archivist

RJQ wrote:

@Karol
I have not had a single problem in gnome, other than the usual slow opening of windows and processing big files, but never (since I installed a couple of months ago) had any graphical issues, I even had the gnome compositing on, I've had no idea how to tell GPU performance, I do not know if, I have the compositing enabled means that 3d acceleration is ok, if it does then I have not lose it at all, contrary I have this problem in KDE or LXDE with KDE apps, which I believe had to do with the incapacity of hardware accel, how ever restarting x did not fix the problem, I had to reboot which makes me suspect of something else is also adding to this problems, kernel probably.... I still refusing to let this old machine die just yet wink but new software will tell neutral

I don't use KDE, but when my GPU hangs (scrolling in firefox gets slooooow + you can read about it in the logs: (EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.) I have to reboot too.

With old drivers I can view fullscreen movies, play some games (Starcraft/Broodwar on Wine), even flash isn't so bad.

#7 2010-09-13 18:54:08

RJQ
Website

@Karol
Now I remembered your topic on this card and there is one little single difference I just spot, mine is  a
"00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])"
isn't yours a (rev 01)? I do not know if that can make a big difference in the way drivers behave ?? I kind of remember reading something about it long time ago...

The only time for me firefox slows down while scrolling is when heavy flash is in the page (like on you tube/hulu) no other issues. also do you had any kde dependency by any chance during the life of the system? I am thinking this problem may involve more than one piece of software... but not sure.

Last edited by RJQ (2010-09-13 18:55:14)

#8 2010-09-13 19:02:56

bpont
Banned

The thing is, my computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Pentium4 2.66GHz and 1278724 kB of RAM.  I have a triple boot set up with XP, Archlinux and Ubuntu Lucid on it and I have no problems running YouTube in fullscreen or running xscreensaver-demo or playing Armagetronad in Ubuntu and have no problems in XP either, so it's definitely not a hardware issue.

Here is an excerpt of Xorg messages every time I xinit.

X.Org X Server 1.8.1.902 (1.8.2 RC 2)
Release Date: 2010-06-21
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.34-ARCH i686
Current Operating System: Linux <host> 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 27 16:22:18 UTC 2010 i686
Build Date: 21 June 2010  11:54:27AM

Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Sep 13 13:27:43 2010
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xmodmap:  unable to open file '/home/<user>/.Xmodmap' for reading
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.
Logging to: /home/<user>/.fluxbox/log
intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1088: Error setting domain 2: Input/output error
(EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.

#9 2010-09-13 19:05:21

karol
Archivist

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100812
Yes, I do have (rev 01). I'm quite happy on xorg-server 1.6 - no problems, no crashes, works beautifully ;P

I've installed the system a year ago and I don't recall having any kde-related package, 'grep -i kde /var/log/pacman.log' doesn't show anything.

@ bpont
Exactly - read the last line: your GPU hung. The Debian / Ubuntu use heavily-patched apps so their xorg / drivers are not quite the same as ours.

#10 2010-09-13 19:16:06

codycarey

karol wrote:

The Debian / Ubuntu use heavily-patched apps so their xorg / drivers are not quite the same as ours.

Debian: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xserve … ideo-intel
Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xs … ideo-intel

Just dropping a couple links for reference if anyone wants to dig into their development.

#11 2010-09-13 19:16:33

bpont
Banned

karol wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100812
Yes, I do have (rev 01). I'm quite happy on xorg-server 1.6 - no problems, no crashes, works beautifully ;P

I've installed the system a year ago and I don't recall having any kde-related package, 'grep -i kde /var/log/pacman.log' doesn't show anything.

@ bpont
Exactly - read the last line: your GPU hung. The Debian / Ubuntu use heavily-patched apps so their xorg / drivers are not quite the same as ours.

Karol, so how do I safely downgrade to Xorg 1.6 and will that have a cascading effect on my other packages / settings?  I've never downgraded before, especially on Archlinux, so I want to make sure I don't bork my system.

#12 2010-09-13 19:27:22

karol
Archivist

I upgrade my system when new drivers etc. come out or to test something and downgrade back because sadly they don't work about once a week. As I wrote in the post you quoted, I've installed my system a year ago and it's still working OK :-)
I don't use any DE, just dwm, so YMMV. It may mean you need to downgrade *a lot* of apps.

I use

mydowngrade () {
path="/var/cache/pacman/pkg"
#path="/home/backup/old"
pacman -U $path/xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xorg-server-utils-7.4-7-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xf86-video-intel-legacy-2.3.2-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xf86-video-vesa-2.2.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xf86-input-evdev-2.2.5-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/xf86-input-mouse-1.4.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/intel-dri-7.5.1-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/libgl-7.5.1-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz \
$path/libdrm-2.4.19-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz;
}

and have

IgnorePkg   = xorg-server xorg-server-utils xf86-video-intel-legacy xf86-video-vesa xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse intel-dri libgl libdrm

in pacman.conf.

If you need the old versions, e-mail me and I'll e-mail them to you - the attachment is 7 MB.

Board footer