You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-15 16:17:15

xheyther

Dualboot archlinux/ubuntu on SSD, partition alignement is so fun

Hi people.

I just bought one of those shiny thing called SSD (a Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB) and planning to install Archlinux on it (along with Ubuntu as a test system for running my apps under it and as a backup system, you know for when I'll try the last feature in kernel26-git and will break every thing).

I setup the disk according Tso's numbers : H=225 S=56
I tried to align my partition by hand using a 512kiB and create the ext4 filesystems using :

mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -E stride=128 /dev/sdaX

Frankly I think that I misunderstood the head/cylinder thing :
- I manage to install Ubuntu (I use it currently)
- but I can't assign partition to mount point in Archlinux installer: it complain about a partition that finishes half of a cylinder.

So my question are:
Should I realign my partition using H=32 S=32 or could I ignore the installer error and mounting the partition myself (and will I loose performances if I do so) ?

Bonus :
The Archlinux wiki page on SSD (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD … _Alignment) does advise to a blocksize of 4kiB and a stride of 128kiB when creating the filesystem. I think it would be nice to advertise on that and I'm willing to add that myself but I not so sure about SSD and partitions so comments are welcome.

#2 2010-09-15 17:33:47

xheyther

Re: Dualboot archlinux/ubuntu on SSD, partition alignement is so fun

Answering to myself and from the man page of ext4.
I was wrong in my previous post, maybe someone will need those informations later so I put them here :

It look like you need to customize block size and stride for raid only, so in my case I don't need it (don't remember where I read about that but I may have misunderstood something again). Furthermore it look like for a filesystem larger than 512MiB mke2fs will pickup a block size of 4kiB (as stated in the default section /etc/mk2fs.conf) of  but I can't find much information on the -T usage_type parameter.

Can't someone correct me if I'm wrong ?

#3 2010-09-15 20:17:52

xheyther

Re: Dualboot archlinux/ubuntu on SSD, partition alignement is so fun

Dunno why but I was following some documentation (in french since I'm lazy) on doc.ubuntu-fr.org that sectors as unit  and during my tries cfdisk kept complaining that partitions didn't fit cylinder.

I tried the archlinux wiki one which use cylinder, and it worked like a charm and my partition are aligned without having to type those big sectors count.

I don't understand the mechanism at work behind the sectors and cylinder but:
- you people should continue to ignore me;
- whoever write the SSD article on archwiki, I want to offer you a beer sometime;
- the archwiki is damn good.

Board footer