You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-13 07:52:14

since1992

Place window by keyboard [SOLVED]

I am using KDE 4.5 and Compiz. The only reason I use Compiz is to use the function `Put` which is under Windows Management. This allows me to move active window to 9 different places such as left top, center and right bottom. I like KWin window decoration better. And I feel like my video card doesn't work great with Compiz. Do you know how I could get this put-window function without Compiz? Thank you.

Last edited by since1992 (2010-09-16 15:49:31)

#2 2010-09-13 08:18:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Place window by keyboard [SOLVED]

Try using pytile (or was it pytyle?). You could also search for 'manual tiling' or the like on the google-webz.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-13 08:47:36

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:

Try using pytile (or was it pytyle?). You could also search for 'manual tiling' or the like on the google-webz.

KDE 4.5 introduced window tiling, so installing extra programs should not be necessary. Also compiz' Put doesn't do tiling but it moves windows to different places on the screen.

@since1992: Kwin is highly configurable when you see the advanced settings, have you checked if there are keybindings for Put-like behaviour there?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2010-09-13 10:47:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm pretty sure the behaviour he's describing is more done by the 'Grid' plugin than 'Put' smile, since he does mention 'moving windows by keyboard shortcuts'.

And good call, I forget latest KDE has some sort of tiling.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-09-13 11:14:17

since1992

litemotiv wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

KDE 4.5 introduced window tiling, so installing extra programs should not be necessary. Also compiz' Put doesn't do tiling but it moves windows to different places on the screen.

@since1992: Kwin is highly configurable when you see the advanced settings, have you checked if there are keybindings for Put-like behaviour there?

Thank you for reply. I couldn't find much information about window tiling. From a demonstration in youtube( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNnhDGanH8 ), I believe window tiling is not about moving window. It probably more like to be a resizing windows. There were keyboard shortcuts in System Setting > Shortcuts and Gestures > Global Keyboard Shortcuts > KWin. But It didn't. Do I need to activate this function in somewhere else? Thank you.

#6 2010-09-13 19:17:05

since1992

Maybe, I have confused you with my poor English. What I was looking for was an alternative way for what Compiz put plug-in does as shown in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00CMkiWDGU . Of course, without compiz. I love to know whether it is possible in KDE or KWin Themselves. Thank you.

#7 2010-09-13 19:32:18

codycarey

It doesn't appear KDE has anything similar built in (http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase … n/effects/) and no third-party stuff either. Maybe you can set it up manually through shortcuts? Or if you want to develop it yourself, http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdebase-work … fects.html.

#8 2010-09-13 19:47:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You could have a look at pywo http://code.google.com/p/pywo/

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2010-09-13 20:38:35

frabjous

You could write some quick scripts making use of wmctrl or xdotool and assign quick keys to them.

#10 2010-09-16 15:42:50

since1992

Thank you for your great helps. I got many recommendations from you. I am using pywo.py since it is easy to install and use. But I couldn't customize the keyboard shortcuts. I might try other solutions later. It is time to mark this thread as solved. Thank you agin.

Board footer