You are not logged in.

#76 2010-09-12 16:01:35

Army

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

I uninstalled it and checked the directories, they are empty or don't exist. So I guess there's no config problem.

I use i3 as window manager. Can some other i3 user confirm problems with this combination?

#77 2010-09-12 16:16:53

mason.larobina
Website

Army wrote:

I have a little problem! When pressing f (or the new Ff, Ft, ...) I don't get any numbers on the links in the current page. In short, hinting doesn't work. I use a clean luakit with all configs etc removed, but it doesn't work. I tried luakit-git and luakit-develop-git, same problem. Am I missing something or is there something really broken?

silenc3r wrote:

I also don't get any numbers with libkit-git, but stable version works fine

Can you both try installing with this command as root:

PREFIX=/usr make uninstall clean all install

It is important to do the whole build in one step (or "PREFIX=/usr" before each make call) because globalconf.h is generated with the contents of the prefix path (and thus the runtime library search path) before the build stage.

Also several things have changed with link following in luakit, some files might still be trying to load the old follow.js

If all else fails delete everything manually that shows up in a:

slocate luakit

or

find / -path "*/luakit*/*"

#78 2010-09-12 16:30:46

jwbirdsong

That is rather bizzare.  I just removed/installed all 3 versions manually removing config before each install.  Follow shows hints/works for me on all 3 braches ' "stable'' luakit-git luakit-develop-git'
Ft works fine on default home page on both luakit-git luakit-develop-git and f on stable branch as new follow not implimented there yet.

I'll be interested to see root cause of this.

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#79 2010-09-12 16:38:55

mason.larobina
Website

Whoops double post.

Last edited by mason.larobina (2010-09-12 16:43:48)

#80 2010-09-12 16:51:13

mason.larobina
Website

Liuuutas wrote:

Precicely, but I guess the following behaviour would be better:

luakit -u google.com - opens link in the most recent instance of luakit (default)
luakit -un google.com - opens link in new instance of luakit

As of precise names for command-line switches it does not matter, but I think, that it would be great for the user to decide whether he wants to open the URI in a new instance of luakit or not. However, I think that the default behaviour should be to open links in the "freshest" (opened most recently) instance of luakit and that the behaviour which is observed now should be optional.

But how do we communicate with running instances? Do we use the uzbl approach and use unixsockets (and then have to write some socket bindings for lua, unless some already exist) or the dbus awesomewm method?

Last edited by mason.larobina (2010-09-12 16:51:28)

#81 2010-09-12 18:02:08

quigybo

I am in a giving mood, so here is some Arch-related and a couple general search engines that somebody may find useful:

search_engines = {
    aw          = "http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Special:Search?search={0}",
    abs         = "http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q={0}",
    aur         = "http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K={0}",
    bbs         = "http://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?action=search&keywords={0}&show_as=topics&sort_dir=DESC",
    bbsa        = "http://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?action=search&author={0}&show_as=topics&sort_dir=DESC",
    google      = "http://google.com/search?q={0}&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1",
    map         = "http://maps.google.com/maps?q={0}",
    yt          = "http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query={0}&search_sort=video_view_count",
}

I prefer to override the default google search with google lucky (by adding these to the bottom of the table), you can always call it "gl" if you think otherwise. I didn't really know what to call the package search so I went with "abs" even though it is not strictly correct. My keywords are pretty terse, feel free to verbose 'em up if you are that way inclined.

#82 2010-09-12 18:15:13

Army

mason.larobina wrote:

It is important to do the whole build in one step (or "PREFIX=/usr" before each make call) because globalconf.h is generated with the contents of the prefix path (and thus the runtime library search path) before the build stage.

Also several things have changed with link following in luakit, some files might still be trying to load the old follow.js

slocate luakit

or

I tried it with

sed -i "s|/usr/local|/usr|" config.mk
  install -Dm644 "$srcdir/$_gitname-build/COPYING.GPLv3" "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE.GPL"
#  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" uninstall
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" clean
  make
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" all
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install

in the PKGBUILDs of luakit-develop-git and luakit-git. I hope this is what you meant. The problem isn't solved for me. The stable version works for me as well, as did the git versions a few days ago (I didn't realize that fast enough, because jumanji is my default browser right now)

#83 2010-09-12 20:27:21

mason.larobina
Website

Army wrote:
mason.larobina wrote:

slocate luakit

or

I tried it with

sed -i "s|/usr/local|/usr|" config.mk
  install -Dm644 "$srcdir/$_gitname-build/COPYING.GPLv3" "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE.GPL"
#  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" uninstall
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" clean
  make
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" all
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install

in the PKGBUILDs of luakit-develop-git and luakit-git. I hope this is what you meant. The problem isn't solved for me. The stable version works for me as well, as did the git versions a few days ago (I didn't realize that fast enough, because jumanji is my default browser right now)

Ok just out of interest can you build and run luakit in its own source repo (aka the sandbox) and see if the problems persist. This will tell us if it is a stale config problem. Follow these commands exactly:

git clone git://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit.git
cd luakit
make clean all
./luakit -c config/rc.lua

And then try a following command (I.e. `f`, or `Fw`, `Ft`, `FT`, `Fy`, etc)

#84 2010-09-12 21:17:46

Ogion

Yep. Followed your steps exactly and the numbers don't show up but the hinting does work when you just pick a random number.
Also, cli output:

% ./luakit -c config/rc.lua 
Exception occured while executing script:
At (follow.lua):1: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: clear

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#85 2010-09-12 22:31:21

Army

Ok, I tried it as well and the behavior is just the same. And I also geht Ogion's output, when I do Fw + number, but I don't get any output when I do f or Ft + number.

#86 2010-09-13 09:34:53

mason.larobina
Website

On another note I've just pushed some changes to my develop branch which give you session saving and config reloading (with tab position saving & multi-window support) if anybody is interested smile

#87 2010-09-13 18:05:47

Liuuutas

mason.larobina wrote:

But how do we communicate with running instances? Do we use the uzbl approach and use unixsockets (and then have to write some socket bindings for lua, unless some already exist) or the dbus awesomewm method?

I have actually no knowledge what is the mechanism of communication with running instances of a program, but I used allmighty google to answer my questions about bindings and I could not find anything useful.

When searching for unixsockets luasocket library was spitted out as an answer, but as I understood it is lib for unixsockets. And what concerns dbus method, I guess that it would need either use one-year-old code, or port awesome's naughty as standalone lua lib. I guess probably the second variant would be easier and maybe it would be possible to get some help from awesome guys, but it is just a speculation.

So what do you, guys, think?

#88 2010-09-13 18:52:50

mason.larobina
Website

Link following has been fixed and you'll never guess the reason. In some locales "," is used as the decimal separator and was screwing up the syntax of the following js by making the theme settings look like this when generated:

horiz_offset = -10,000000;
focus_color = "#00ff00";
border = "1px dotted #000000";
vert_offset = 0,000000;
hint_fg = "#ffffff";
hint_border = "2px dashed #000000";
hint_opacity = 0,400000;
opacity = 0,300000;
normal_color = "#ffff99";
hint_font = "11px monospace bold";
hint_bg = "#000088";

Notice the invalid javascript syntax when numbers are printed as "-10,000000".

The fix is to set the lua locale to "C" to prevent it from doing anything crazy like the above ever again.

http://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit … 85aef2564e

#89 2010-09-13 19:05:49

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

So Mason, when can we expect the 'uzbl vs luakit' comparison? smile
edit: of course anyone who knows both browsers is welcome to start such a page

Last edited by Dieter@be (2010-09-13 19:06:36)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#90 2010-09-13 19:16:46

Army

I'd rather compare luakit and jumanji, uzbl is too different from them imho.

Mason, your fix works here smile Now I can continue to complain about other stuff big_smile

#91 2010-09-13 20:13:45

mason.larobina
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

So Mason, when can we expect the 'uzbl vs luakit' comparison? smile
edit: of course anyone who knows both browsers is welcome to start such a page

It's going to be a big list smile

#92 2010-09-14 09:28:59

mason.larobina
Website

mason.larobina wrote:
quigybo wrote:

Holy crap luakit has made leaps and bounds in terms of usability in the last week. I am loving that most of vimperators day-to-day features are here now, especially [[, ]], gu, gU and the extended link following modes. Tab and enter in follow mode were awesome enough, but the new "F*" are incredible. Being able to follow images is something I have wished vimperator did for a very long time. Thanks!

One minor gripe though, I use "F" (follow in new tab) alot so I changed the key bindings a little ("Ff" probably could have been ";f" but ";;" is rather ingrained from vimperator - change as you see fit):

diff --git a/follow.lua b/follow.lua
--- snip ---

Thanks, I'll change these around to make it friendlier for vimperator users.

Done, thanks for the patch.

http://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit … 077452c5c2

#93 2010-09-15 08:17:19

sugardeath

I must say, this is the first browser I've begun using on a regular basis since I started using Opera over five years ago.  It's perfect for netbooks and NX servers.  I was wondering, though, where the slowness on certain sites in the browser comes from?  I've noticed it only on a small handful of sites, but the most notable I ran across was netflix.com.  Scrolling is slow, the pop-ups are slow, etc.  Unusably so, even on my desktop (2.8ghz Core 2 Duo).  On my NX server (a cheap, old-ass laptop) and my netbook, Opera can load and display the site just fine.  Chromium, another webkit browser, can display the site just fine on my desktop, but luakit has slowdown on all three machines on the site.

I'm just wondering, is this something on my end?  Has anyone else experienced this?  If it's something up with the webkit engine, why does it not affect Chromium?  etc. etc.

Either way, thanks for the amazing browser!  My netbook's Openbox keyboard-shortcut for Opera now launches luakit, and I'm trying to get comfortable with all the config files.  It should be fun!

#94 2010-09-15 08:59:49

mason.larobina
Website

sugardeath wrote:

I must say, this is the first browser I've begun using on a regular basis since I started using Opera over five years ago.  It's perfect for netbooks and NX servers.  I was wondering, though, where the slowness on certain sites in the browser comes from?  I've noticed it only on a small handful of sites, but the most notable I ran across was netflix.com.  Scrolling is slow, the pop-ups are slow, etc.  Unusably so, even on my desktop (2.8ghz Core 2 Duo).  On my NX server (a cheap, old-ass laptop) and my netbook, Opera can load and display the site just fine.  Chromium, another webkit browser, can display the site just fine on my desktop, but luakit has slowdown on all three machines on the site.

I'm just wondering, is this something on my end?  Has anyone else experienced this?  If it's something up with the webkit engine, why does it not affect Chromium?  etc. etc.

Either way, thanks for the amazing browser!  My netbook's Openbox keyboard-shortcut for Opera now launches luakit, and I'm trying to get comfortable with all the config files.  It should be fun!

Good to hear another person enjoying luakit though its a shame it doesn't work well with everything yet. Have you tried running `luakit -v netflix.com`? I've tried it myself and I'm seeing hundreds of "expose" events being raised by the netflix site every few seconds while sitting idle. The "expose" event is raised every time the webview widget needs to be re-drawn (browser resize, user scrolling, cursor blinking, typing in text fields, etc). On some flashy sites the "expose" signal can get a bit wild and cause some slowdowns. We currently attach to the "expose" signal to update the scroll indicator but we only need a small subset of the "expose" signals which actually indicate the page has scrolled. Perhaps its time for a "scroll-update" signal.

#95 2010-09-15 14:52:46

firecat53
Website

I think this is a webkit problem, as both jumanji and dwb exhibit this same behavior...for me on netflix and google reader.

Scott

#96 2010-09-16 08:50:19

quigybo

I have come across a minor annoyance with the search_open function, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions on it: Currently if the first term of your search matches a search engine name it will use that engine, which is perfect. However if there is no complete match, it proceeds to check if there are partial matches, allowing you to type "g" instead of "google" to use that search engine. A problem however arises if for example you want to search for the card game "go fish", as "go" will be interpreted as you wanting to use the search engine "google", giving you some results about fish instead of a card game. tongue

Maybe we can remove partial matches from search_open, and instead define shortcuts manually:

search_engines = {
    google      = "http://google.com/search?q={0}",
    wikipedia   = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search={0}",
}
search_engines = lousy.util.table.join(search_engines, {
    g           = search_engines["google"],
    w           = search_engines["wikipedia"],
}

What are peoples opinions on this? Is there a better way?

#97 2010-09-16 13:58:16

Ogion

@Mason, indeed, link following works for me too now, thinks. stupid locale differences tongue

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#98 2010-09-16 20:49:28

aeosynth
Website

@quigybo: +1 for no partial matches.

A different approach would be to copy chromium and allow users to tab-complete their partial matches. Just throwing it out there, not actually supporting this.

#99 2010-09-17 06:26:23

Berticus

@quigybo: it's never been a problem for me since I only store the keyword I'd use. So I do wiki instead of wikipedia, ddg/dukgo for duckduckgo, sp for startpage. So haven't, and probably never will, run into that bug. Be that as it may, no partial matching would be prefered.

---Edit---
also, which link follow script are people using? I personally really like the default way vimperator and vimprobable2 does it. However, I've noticed with the scirpt (may be old?) when I type part of the link, I can't hit enter to follow it, tab to switch to the next hint, or even type the number of the hint.

Last edited by Berticus (2010-09-17 06:30:10)

#100 2010-09-17 07:56:37

mason.larobina
Website

Berticus wrote:

@quigybo: it's never been a problem for me since I only store the keyword I'd use. So I do wiki instead of wikipedia, ddg/dukgo for duckduckgo, sp for startpage. So haven't, and probably never will, run into that bug. Be that as it may, no partial matching would be prefered.

The verdict is in, partial matching will be removed.

Berticus wrote:

---Edit---
also, which link follow script are people using? I personally really like the default way vimperator and vimprobable2 does it. However, I've noticed with the scirpt (may be old?) when I type part of the link, I can't hit enter to follow it, tab to switch to the next hint, or even type the number of the hint.

The latest following script is really nice and fully supports partial link name matching, <Tab> & <S-Tab> scrolling through followables and <Enter> to follow currently highlighted followable.

And it supports the whole array of follow options that vimperator does. Have a look, its really nifty:

http://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit … w.lua#L429

Board footer