You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-20 01:24:49

blondboy71

Hotplug

Hey guys, what does this error message mean when Hotplug tries to load during startup of the daemon?

can't load module shpchp

On a quest to learn everyting about nothing, and nothing about everything. 
Boy this is going to be a long Journey!

#2 2005-04-20 03:00:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Hotplug

happens alot - I don't know what that module is, but everyone seems to just blacklist it...

so just add it to your hotplug blacklist, and it should be fine

#3 2005-04-20 08:48:16

incinerator

This forum has a search function, btw. I just feel like impressing a noob with my shitload of experience, therefore I'll answer anyway:

That module is responsible for PCI hotplugging, i.e. inserting and removing PCI-cards whilst the computer is running. Most "normal" PC hardware does not support it and it should not really make a difference if you blacklist the module or not. The error message can be ignored.

If you happen to actually have a motherboard that does support PCI hotplugging, you should start worrying about it and Do Something(tm).

#4 2005-04-20 15:08:59

iphitus
Forum Fellow

incinerator wrote:

This forum has a search function, btw. I just feel like impressing a noob with my shitload of experience, therefore I'll answer anyway:

That module is responsible for PCI hotplugging, i.e. inserting and removing PCI-cards whilst the computer is running. Most "normal" PC hardware does not support it and it should not really make a difference if you blacklist the module or not. The error message can be ignored.

If you happen to actually have a motherboard that does support PCI hotplugging, you should start worrying about it and Do Something(tm).

Which is extremely unlikely, but even then, he probably wont need to use it.

Board footer