You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-20 15:09:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

linux IDEs?

So, I think I'm going to start looking for a better code editor... vim works great, but it's really missing some important features...

anyone use (regularly) any of the linux IDEs? I'm trying to decide what to try out - kdevelop (probably too heavy), anjuta (probably similar), etc?

Any really good one out there?

I really only want: code completion, class browsing, syntax highlighting, and multiple file browsing...

Any thoughts would be appretiated...

#2 2005-04-20 15:13:41

neri
Forum Fellow

Re: linux IDEs?

phrakture wrote:

I really only want: code completion, class browsing, syntax highlighting, and multiple file browsing...

Hav a look at SciTE, since it can do much more than it seems. See the scite
wiki we have. Basically it covers all your wishes except class browsing. I dunno how much can be done via ctags on that issue.

-neri

#3 2005-04-20 16:07:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

well, scite is pretty close... but the code completion it has is no different from vim, which just uses alphabetic matching...

#4 2005-04-20 16:30:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I've tried so many different IDEs, not including scite. For some reason I keep on coming back to jEdit. However, that may be just because I can code plugins and macros for it in my native language. You might want to look at it, don't be thrown off by the fact that its Java.

It can be as heavyweight or lightweight as you want to make it, simply by adding plugins.

There are some plugins for code completion. I just checked for some for C++ and C, but apparently there aren't any. However if you implement it you can make some money:

http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1171

:-D

The Jane, Codeaid, and sidekick plugins do this already, but not for Java 5, much to my chagrin. Perhaps we could collaborate, my Java skills with your knowledge of C++ and language parsing. We can hack the Jane library to work with Java 5, and we can use the experience gained to create a C++ equivalent.... hmmm.

My main reason for suggesting this is I'd love to have you using JEdit. Aside from the obvious irony of having a C++ programmer coding in a Java editor, it would just do my heart good...

Dusty

#5 2005-04-20 16:47:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah, I've tried Anjuta/KDevelop/Eclipse(CDT), and they're not bad... just waaaay to heavy for me.  I love vim... but there's a handful of things missing.  If I was going to work on any type of plugins, it'd probably be for vim...

But maybe this Jane library wouldn't be that hard to crack apart...

The worst problem with parsing c/c++ is that it's notoriously terrible to parse... alot of people give up... and still others simply use whats already there (gcc-xml simply uses gcc to parse c++ and convert it to xml... interesting idea)

#6 2005-04-20 17:05:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm investigating the jane and dot complete code right now. Dot-complete is ugly, but Jane isn't too bad. Maybe I'll try to make this work when I get back. JEdit is definately a lot lighter than the IDEs you mentioned, but that means its a bit less integrated (the keybinding support is amazing though!) The ONLY problem I have with it is the code completion -- which works with PHP and Java <=1.4, but not any other languages at the moment; it depends who writes the plugin...

Dusty

#7 2005-04-20 17:32:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Xentac just pointed me to this project:
http://www.a-a-p.org/

You might be interested... it uses vim or something...

Dusty

#8 2005-04-20 19:23:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

huh... this looks interesting - I've known for a while that vim can be built with AAP... and tried once... but failed...

might be worth a second look now - I definately like the philosophy of Agide.... it's not one IDE, but a framework to allow a bunch of tools to work together...

#9 2005-04-21 15:41:32

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

so I decided to be creative... I think I have the barebones of a c++ lexer... it's real basic... no I didn't use yacc/bison/whatever...

when it comes to templates, I'm going to ignore them for now... I'll use the function signatures exactly like they are  - T foo() instead of int foo()...

#10 2005-04-21 15:52:15

soniX

as an eclipse fanboy there is only one IDE I can really recommend.
it can do everything (there is written a plugin for), but is BIG and may seem very bloated for someone coming from a vim like environment.
It does however work great for linux,windows and mac (and many obscure platforms).

everything is left to the different plugins, as eclipse is not really an IDE, but a framework for plugins.
to see if eclipse can suit you, check out http://eclipse-plugins.info for a list and description of most plugins available.

I even found a vi plugin for it to add vi functionality to the editor (since you like that)... its not free (atleast the full version is not - 15Euro), but might be worth checking out if you consider giving eclipse another try http://satokar.com/viplugin/index.php

and yes.. this was a true fanboy post.. but I really like eclipse

#11 2005-04-21 16:16:04

iphitus
Forum Fellow

here's a vim fanboy post!

vim does all you need, take a look at the scripts on the site:
http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php

#12 2005-04-21 16:18:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

here's a vim fanboy post!

vim does all you need, take a look at the scripts on the site:
http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php

no, it doesn't - find me a class browser and code completion (ideally something similar to python_calltips so it works in both gui and console... I don't like popups anyway)

#13 2005-04-22 01:51:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Heh, ive got both of those things in python, but I dont know if hteres a C/++ alternative, i just assumed there would be.

#14 2005-04-22 02:22:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, guess some wires got crossed - I'm looking for C/C++ versions of this stuff...

#15 2005-04-22 03:12:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

vegetaz wrote:

yep, that happens for not reading the whole post =P

vim ctags can cover object browsing..

yes and no - it'll work, but what, am I supposed to maintain a big ctags listing for all of "/usr/include" ?
maybe I'll try that and test performance on it....

Board footer