You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-03 15:40:10

jethro

[solved] Build of php package with mssql support - checking my process

Since the straight 'php' package doesn't support mssql, I'm in the process of trying to build and install an updated copy that has that switch turned on. The information I've seen out there seems pretty straight forward, but my results are odd, so I'm checking my work here...

I did an abs to pull down the tree (had to use abs -t), created an abs directory under my root home dir, then copied the extra/php branch to /root/abs/php
Edit the PKGBUILD adding the line
    --with-mssql \
to the end (line 130) of the list of  phpextensions= that is later used in the ./configure line of PKGBUILD. Then from the same directory, run makepkg --asroot -f
then remove the old php with pacman -Rd php
then install the new php with pacman -U ./php-5.3.2-6-i686.pkg.tar.xz
Then modify my php.ini for mssql support
and then get the wierd results:
- php reports it does not have mssql support. phpinfo() shows the ./configure command line and the --with-mssql piece is not there.
- a php -m reports "PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/mssql.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/mssql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

A search for mssql.so comes up empty on the system. I am not sure why it isn't there, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the above steps first before running down the php code specific rabbit hole trying to find mssql.so in case it is under a different name in the source and then compiled out to be mssql.so in the end result.

(note - I have freetds on the system along with it's source files from the package, and no mssql.so in there either)

Thanks,
-Jeff

Last edited by jethro (2010-09-22 19:33:55)

#2 2010-09-05 07:51:56

ndowens
Website

Re: [solved] Build of php package with mssql support - checking my process

During the build process, does ./configure give you something like: Unreconized Option --with-mysql ? Usually that error is at the very beginning of the ./configure process.

My site: ndowens.tk

#3 2010-09-07 19:06:26

jethro

ndowens wrote:

During the build process, does ./configure give you something like: Unreconized Option --with-mysql ? Usually that error is at the very beginning of the ./configure process.

Support for mysql is already in the package - so no need to add it. Specifically I'm trying to add MSSQL support in. WRT the unrecognized option - I'd like to see if that's the case when I do a makepkg, but the info scrolls by so fast I can't tell - is there a place where that information is captured that I can refer to? Kicking off a makepkg on php compiles a number of packages, so it's a ton of output.

-Jeff

#4 2010-09-13 23:05:25

android

If you just want to catch everything that comes out of makepkg you can:

makepkg > makepkg.log

If you want to see the output, and have it go to a file too:

makepkg | tee makepkg.log

#5 2010-09-14 03:16:07

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

android wrote:

If you just want to catch everything that comes out of makepkg you can:

makepkg > makepkg.log

If you want to see the output, and have it go to a file too:

makepkg | tee makepkg.log

Simpler way. just use: makepkg -L

#6 2010-09-22 19:33:03

jethro

Did all that, no real errors, only a few warnings, but did figure out what was going on and will put it here in case anyone searches on this and is in the same boat. In search of mssql.so I found this web page http://howtogetitworking.com/2008/02/26 … p-on-unix/ which talks about needing to build the mssql.so file yourself. Specifically, going into src//ext/mssql/ then

# cd /uploaded_path/mssql/
# phpize
# ./configure
# make
# make install

and suddenly I have mssql.so, restart apache and I have mssql support. I wasn't expecting to have to compile a subsection of php after doing a package build with the switches I wanted, but I guess that's what I had to do.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Board footer