You are not logged in.

#1 2002-08-15 15:59:59

dunbar

Please avoid net installs

I've plead my case in the mail list, but....

I cannot put the Linux box onto the internet (My ISP = NetZero = M$ software) and my networking skills are nil, despite 2 WinME PCs already connected via a switch.

I'd much prefer to download stuff manually from a different PC which can burn CDs, burn the d/l to a CDR, then install from the CDR.

Thanks for reading.

#2 2002-08-15 18:45:25

ody
Website

Re: Please avoid net installs

I dont want to sound out of line but just because you have problems doing an FTP install due to "I cannot put the Linux box onto the internet" dos'nt mean others can't and the title of your post is a wee bit out of line.. I can understand why you would say it but we dont want to put others off do we now wink

#3 2002-08-16 02:56:57

MeesterExx

Since both methods (ISO & FTP) are available, I don't see where there's a problem...
Now if AL went FTP only I could see where it might cause a prob. I personally like to have the ISO so I can reinstall anytime anywhere. I had tried gentoo linux once before and my DSL went down for three days which really sucked when all I had was the stage1 ISO tarball (all 16MB of it) and had to wait to even get the sucker beyond bootstrapping!

I also have to agree with ody's points... Have you considered changing ISP's?

Anyhoo, just leave both methods available & no problemo...
Peace.

#4 2002-08-16 12:22:27

dunbar

Chill people.

ody - I didn't ask for my post to be taken so seriously, as if I had powers of divine decree - I said 'please avoid' in the subject line, exactly because I'm not the only user. So instead of putting others off, you'd put me on the defensive for you not understanding what the word 'please' means? :cry:

MeesterExx- I have considered other ISPs (I'm not personally appreciative of NZs menu bar), but not all of us newbie Linux users are situated smack dab in the middle of a megacity with 30 ISPs fighting each other for my money. Before last week, I knew of only 2 internet 'players' in my rural little New England town, and maybe the 'other' ISP is not acceptable? I'm working on researching ISPs in my area: http://www.findanisp.com lists a few, but I have to shop carefully.

Oh, and 'welcome to the Arch Linux BBS, dunbar, glad to have you on board'.  :evil:

#5 2002-08-16 12:38:54

ody
Website

dunbar wrote:

Chill people.

ody - I didn't ask for my post to be taken so seriously, as if I had powers of divine decree - I said 'please avoid' in the subject line, exactly because I'm not the only user. So instead of putting others off, you'd put me on the defensive for you not understanding what the word 'please' means? :cry:

Hey look say I met you in real life and for some reason we didnt get along, me saying to others "please dont meet him cause it didnt work out between us" would be as bad as "dont meet him cause it didnt work out between us", please is no excuse to excuse somthing because of your own problem with it, the net install works fine, so if theres no problem with the net install why tell others to "please" not use it.

Im not angry of bitcing and Im unhappy to have to post like this.. but u get what I mean dont you?

#6 2002-08-16 18:11:48

apeiro
Daddy
Website

And the flames rise higher.  :?

As MeesterExx said, I don't see where there's a problem here.  dunbar, the cd/iso is still the primary method of installation for Arch Linux, and if you're performing an Arch install on more than one box (or you don't have readiliy available net access) then it is the correct method.  You will never be forced to use a network-based installation.  Eventually I would actually like to be able to distribute Arch CDs to the less-fortunate (isp-wise), but that's probably a ways off.

ody, I don't think he meant any offense.  We'll get a lot more done on this project if we don't take things personally.

My 2 cents....

#7 2002-08-16 18:15:00

ody
Website

yeah good point.. but I cant help being an argumentitive cunt.. its in my nature(really though I get it from my dad.. wink.

#8 2002-08-17 04:41:36

MeesterExx

Ody..LOL u crack me up man  smile

BTW, welcome to the Arch Linux BBS, dunbar, glad to have you on board!
Seriously, I think we're all here to just learn and help AL grow as a Class A distro...

BTW #2 A thought occurred to me the other day: If Slackware users are called Slackers, does this make us Archers?

#9 2002-08-17 05:14:08

apeiro
Daddy
Website

MeesterExx wrote:

A thought occurred to me the other day: If Slackware users are called Slackers, does this make us Archers?

Correct!!   8)

#10 2002-08-18 13:00:06

dunbar

ody wrote:

the title of your post is a wee bit out of line.. I can understand why you would say it but we dont want to put others off do we now wink

Sigh, I forgot, YOU have power to decide what I am allowed to ask for.

Lets try a test of efficacy: this forum is intended for install problems. Installing from the internet would be a problem for me. I matched the goals of this forum. If this exact forum is incorrect, move the thread to the FTP install forum; just don't split hairs on me. I simply asked, I don't need to be chastised for asking, so I'd say the forum responses were more than a wee bit out of line to a simple request!

#11 2002-08-18 13:53:16

ody
Website

Im locking this thread because now its going to far.

Board footer