You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-21 15:36:25

schneida
Website

Programm like ZoneScreen or MaxiVista

Hi!

I'm looking for an alternative Linux program for ZoneScreen or MaxiVista. With those programs it's possible to use an other machines monitor as an extension. So for example you have a tower and a laptop and you can use your laptops monitor as an extension for the tower and drag programs over there just as if the extension monitor is connected to a second output on your graphics card.

Do you know of any program that's able to do the same under Linux? I have found DMX so far, but this project is really old and doesn't seem to work anymore (as it became merged with the standard X the documentation doesn't help much either).

Help is appreciated

schneida

Last edited by schneida (2010-04-21 15:36:33)

#2 2010-09-23 13:33:16

n00ris

Re: Programm like ZoneScreen or MaxiVista

I looked for something like that, too. And I not managed it to run dmx (with gentoo). But Zonescreen gives a solution itself, I have not the time to test it...:

From there website (http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm):

Other systems (Linux, PalmOS, etc)

Linux and PalmOS are not supported by ZoneScreen itself, but it is possible to use cross-platform implementations of VNC as a replacement for ZoneScreen wizard. For example, server machine with Windows XP, ZoneScreen virtual display driver and and VNC server could use client machines with any operating system which supports VNC client. Because virtual display is completely identical to normal display, VNC server could be transparently used above ZoneScreen display driver (was tested with server from RealVNC 4.1.2.0). If you are interested in PalmOS, PalmVNC is the VNC client for it.

Also you could run ZoneScreen wizard (build for Windows 98) in Linux under Wine.

Board footer