You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-20 21:10:31

Carbono

pacman versus dependencies

Dear community--

I need your help on this: it happened to me twice on two.

I finally got through the reinstallation of Arch (kernel 2.6) from the base CD. I wrestled about a week to have my system dual boot XP and Arch and with the help of many of you, now it works.

Among the first thing I did after my install is run pacman -Syu to upgrade all the base packages from the install CD. Now I get the same problem as the first time I did pacman after a fresh install a week ago.

For example, if I type modprobe -l , I get this message:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.dep

I think this is easy to understand why I get this:

/lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH  has been replaced by /lib/modules/2.6.11.7-ARCH.

Now I am afraid all my Arch system is screwed. I am also afraid to reboot, fearing it will never reboot again...

What is(are) the solution(s) to this and what can I do to prevent this to happen in the futur when I'll use pacman?

Will there be a pacman pro with an answer to these?

Thanx,

Gui

#2 2005-04-20 21:27:06

Stinky

Re: pacman versus dependencies

My buddy had a problem just like this yesterday.  I had him

pacman -Sy kernel26

It told him it was already up to date but we said Y to upgrade anyway.  Let it do it's thing.  rebooted.  Now modprobe works correctly again.
Hope this helps.
Tim

#3 2005-04-20 21:29:45

i3839

The thing is, Pacman just upgraded your kernel and modules, and threw away the old ones. So rebooting should not only be safe, but also fix this problem, as then the new kernel is used.

But before you reboot, check that all config files are ok. (look for *.pacsave and *.pacnew in /etc/*)

#4 2005-04-20 21:38:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, here's the setup:
you're running in kernel 2.6.10-ARCH... so you have /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH for all your modules... when you upgrade your kernel, this dir is removed and another one is put there (/lib/modules/2.6.11.7-ARCH in this case).

Now, when modprobe tries to load a module, it uses the "uname -r" of the currently running kernel to find the proper directory.  Seeing that this directory has been removed and you are still running 2.6.10, it's easy to see why this failed.  Now if you reboot, you will be under kernel 2.6.11-ARCH, and the "uname -r" part of modprobe will indicate the correct directory.

#5 2005-04-20 22:13:13

IceRAM
Website

If you use LILO, don't forget to run "lilo" after a kernel upgrade!

Board footer