Nkawtg...n!

#27 2003-10-16 15:19:41

zen_guerrilla

Re: no boot after install...

Never mind my tip then smile.

#28 2003-10-16 17:28:07

bhrich902

the problem is not whether arch is easy or not to learn, i to get it to boot to let the learning begin.... everything seems to go well in the instaer, is after that that the headache begins.

#29 2003-10-16 21:07:16

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Change the boot order of your devices (in the BIOS).  A good order would be Floppy, Cd, Hard drive, Network.  Make sure the network is below the hard drive.

Then, after your cd install, remove the install cd and it should boot off the hard drive next.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#30 2003-10-16 21:22:50

hApy
Website

bhrich902 wrote:

but like i said before i have no control over where lilo installs, i just click on install bootloader and that's it. my partitions are /swap then 2 other partitions, one for arch and the other for another distro i might try. so now i have to make them /boot, /swap then the other 2, then write the table?. if so, from the type menu which is the number to set /boot to, cause i see a couple that say boot in there. thx...

That is not correct, you DO have complete control over where lilo is installed. You are supposed to edit the lilo.conf file.

Which is what sounds like your problem, since it works when you have /boot, /swap then 2 partitions, because likely the default lilo.conf tries to boot off of /dev/discs/disc0/part1

If that is the problem, then make sure you fix your lilo.conf while installing. which should be available for edit through the installer. there should be a line

boot="/dev/hda"

make sure that is right for your system.

and look for the entry for your arch boot
if you keep using the /swap on 1st partition, arch on second, it should say

root="/dev/discs/disc0/part2"

that should solve any lilo issues if I'm understanding whats going on, and Xentacs advice about boot order is important too.

Hapy.

#31 2003-10-16 23:38:24

bhrich902

k, here's the deal, with xentac's set up and hapy's lilo changes, using 3 partitions, /swap /linux /linux, when rebooting after base install, the nic gets there first and of course with nothing to boot from the network, it pretty much leaves me in a loop... :cry:

#32 2003-10-17 05:38:45

hApy
Website

is there any output indicating it did not find your HD?

normally it says something like

searching for boot record on disk....
cdrom...

etc, etc...

at least that's what I remember.

If so, does it mention anything about your HD?

Also.. you could try grabbing the FTP-installer disks, booting off the boot disk, and when it asks what you want to boot.. (forget the actual question)

type

arch root="/dev/discs/disc0/part2"

and see if that boots up your correct partition at least... that way you don't have to do a full re-install to test all of this.

also, I forget if this is even helpful or not, but you might want to try installing a new MBR using lilo ... I think it's something like

lilo -M /dev/hda

or something like that. Check the man page first I would say before you go blindly doing it though. smile

What does it look like in your bios as far as setting boot precedence? If you can, set it to look at disc drive first, then hd, and then just disable any 3rd, 4th, or more settings -- just set them to none.

another option: maybe try using grub instead of lilo? I have no experience with grub myself but maybe it will work without a hitch.

good luck!

Hapy.

#33 2003-10-17 05:46:38

Jagged

have you even looked in your BIOS setup yet?

Nkawtg...n!

#34 2003-10-17 08:06:43

bhrich902

no...f*king...way.... tha dam thing booted  :shock: , i don't even know how or why. the only thing i did different was  really nothing significant. the way i would do things is go through all the steps except 5, which i would skip in order to go to 6 to install the bootloader, then back 5 to check the configuration files. well, this time just out of nowhere i decided to go to step 5 then 6, which really made no sense since grub nor lilo config files would have anything in them, and after 6 (installing bootloader) i went back to 5 the check lilo and did nothing to it cause it all seemed good to me. well after exiting and rebooting, out of nowhere the dam thing booted, unfreakinbelievable...

thx everyone who had a part in helping me out...

now, on to tacle my next mission, to get a gui (kde) up and running. i'll prolly need detailed how to on doing this so it doesn't turn into another 'no boot after install...' i ran --sync --sysupgrade so is all up to date, also i chose to install all the packages from the cd except genome, so i have all of those updated, thx...

Board footer