You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-17 23:11:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Are personal repositories still needed?

* topic split from http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=82329 *

webalizer has been in my repository for quite a while now. It is unfortunate that you had to duplicate work. sad
You could have started with my pkgbuild and modified it to suit your needs, instead of writing it from scratch (if indeed you did start it from scratch).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-04-17 23:22:36

cmcginty

Re: Are personal repositories still needed?

I looked around before I made it, but was unable to find a package, so I ended up creating this one from scratch.

#3 2005-04-17 23:23:54

aCoder
Website

Well, cactus, and, I suppose anyone with a repo in general, not everyone is aware you have one, even if you post it on the forums, or are a TU, which I suppose is the beauty of the AUR, which is, of course, that these scattered about user repos, which seem to spark quite a bit of meaningless competition, and the occasional snobbish attitude, are now totally unnecessary.  (Read:  Use the AUR, it's a good thing!)

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2005-04-17 23:30:37

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

cmcginty wrote:

I looked around before I made it, but was unable to find a package, so I ended up creating this one from scratch.

*shrug*
Well, if nothing else, it was good practice writing pkbuilds, eh?  wink

ps. I just did a forum search on webalizer, and it turned up lots of results. *shrug*
The silly thing is that I did the same thing when I made my webalizer package.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=7995
:oops:
One of us really NEEDS to submit this pkgbuild to the aur. lol

aCoder wrote:

that these scattered about user repos, which seem to spark quite a bit of meaningless competition, and the occasional snobbish attitude, are now totally unnecessary.

Not totally. I doubt putting hula in AUR would make sense, as it needs to be rebuilt from svn pulls about 3 or 4 times a week. It would be far more hassle to update the AUR pkgbuild, build a package, and notify the people using said binary package.

If a TU doesn't adopt it, then it remains a PKGBUILD, so everyone is building it themselves. Not much sense in that, and I doubt a TU wants to spend the time rebuilding it so frequently (extreme cutting edge testing of new things, like dibble's bootsplash for instance). This is one of the areas where I think personal repositories make more sense than the AUR. The only other one I can think of is if people want custom builds of things. Like php built for lighttpd.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-04-18 04:07:28

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

acoder wrote:

Use the AUR, it's a good thing!

At the moment I am far from convinced that this is a good thing but we'll see

#6 2005-04-18 07:07:48

droog

Strange thing i've noticed about the Aur is that Packages are disappearing out of the official repos and pkgbuilds of them are being put in there.
Yesterday i was checking if a new package of gxine was out so did a search on the main al page and it came up with nothing. browsing through the aur later i saw a pkgbuild of it in there.

So now everyone that uses gxine is going to have to build it from source?  since its such a popular program, thats going to add up to alot of wasted compiling time to the community.

#7 2005-04-19 08:02:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

weird that that wasn't annouced either!

#8 2005-04-20 03:02:06

aCoder
Website

At the moment I am far from convinced that this is a good thing but we'll see

All right, let's go with this:  It ought to be a good thing, but, well, you see...

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#9 2005-04-20 23:21:43

xerxes2
Website

droog wrote:

Strange thing i've noticed about the Aur is that Packages are disappearing out of the official repos and pkgbuilds of them are being put in there.
Yesterday i was checking if a new package of gxine was out so did a search on the main al page and it came up with nothing. browsing through the aur later i saw a pkgbuild of it in there.

So now everyone that uses gxine is going to have to build it from source?  since its such a popular program, thats going to add up to alot of wasted compiling time to the community.

you can find gxine in "community" repo,
there will probably be tons of packages in there in just a few days,
otherwise you have to apply to be a TU yourself to help out a little,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#10 2005-04-20 23:27:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't think gxine was ever in the official repos. I used to get it from phrakture's, I think, now I get it from community... IIRC...

Dusty

#11 2005-04-21 03:10:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

You can't apply to be a TU - you have to wait until posts are "advertised"

#12 2005-04-21 09:01:23

droog

My mistake then, Last time i just did a pacman -S gxine so i assumed it was in the official repo, but at some point i must have added phraktures repo.

Board footer