You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-16 16:28:07

thydian

Gnome 2.4

I installed Arch 0.5 as minimal from the CD. At first boot, I upgraded all the minimal base packages.

I then proceeded to add packages via pacman that I was interested in: X11, emacs, links, mozilla, gnome, etc...

My problem is that gnome 2.4 comes up without any default desktop set up aside from 3 shortcuts and an empty panel in the upper left. It works and is configurable by hand, but is less desirable that starting from an initial desktop that features a "start menu" and "launch panel".

I posted about this in the "general" forum and learned that there is an implicit dependancy between 2.2 and 2.4. gnome 2.2 comes with a more usable default desktop and the configuration for this carries over when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 (probably from the "." directories in the users home dir). If you upgrade you get the pre-defined layout and menus of 2.2. Perhaps this "bug" can be fixed for folks like me that started at 2.4 from the get go?

Many thanks.

#2 2003-10-16 17:15:46

sarah31
Website

Re: Gnome 2.4

and none of the gnome package upgrades in the last two days have "fixed" any of this?

there were at least four packages upgraded.

if you want to better address this issue please file a bug report as the gnome maintainer does not stop by here very often.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer