You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-20 10:41:08

fatblueduck

Arch-0.6 How does one configure the kernel

Hi everone. I'm a new arch user (coming from gentoo) this is my first post here.

I installed Arch Linux 0.6 on my computer. I have experience configuring kernels, but I'm not sure where to do this in Arch Linux. In /usr/src there is only a "linux' directory, which I am unable to run the make menuconfig command from.

Normally I would cd to /usr/src/linux, and run "make menuconfig". In the Linux directory are a number of other directories in which I cannot find the kernel.

#2 2005-04-20 11:03:13

jerem

Re: Arch-0.6 How does one configure the kernel

First, tou need to get the full tarball release from www.kernel.org

Then :

cd /usr/src
tar -xvjf linux-2.6.x.y.tar.bz2
ln -sf linux-2.6.x.y linux
cd linux
make menuconfig
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux
cp .config /boot
cp System.map /boot
cd /boot/grub
nano -w menu.lst

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)       #this is where /boot is
kernel /boot/linux root=/dev/hda1 ro

In order to know which options to enable or disable in the kernel, use your knowledge of your computer and you can use the H key to bring up a help screen.

#3 2005-04-20 11:30:02

fatblueduck

thank you.

No kernel included in the installation? Very hardcore, and very cool.

#4 2005-04-20 12:12:10

IceRAM
Website

dibblethewrecker is maintaining e very educative ArchLinux Wiki Page on Kernel Compilation using ABS.
You may use it to make yourself a package with your favourite kernel flavour.

P.S. and yes, no kernel source in the installation tongue

#5 2005-04-20 18:28:44

jerem

I think a user who does not know how to compile and install a new kernel should first learn the "manual" way to do this.

Then if you know how to do that, you can indeed use the very useful and well made PKGBUILD written by dibblethewrecker, a frequent and appreciated Arch contributor.

#6 2005-04-20 20:17:54

IceRAM
Website

jerem wrote:

I think a user who does not know how to compile and install a new kernel should first learn the "manual" way to do this.

Absolutely, but I have never done this in Arch because I like everything well managed by pacman. Pacman keeps order in my system and that's something important.

#7 2005-04-20 20:52:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

IceRAM wrote:

Absolutely, but I have never done this in Arch because I like everything well managed by pacman. Pacman keeps order in my system and that's something important.

I agree completely - I make PKGBUILD for anything I install, just so I can have pacman keep track of it...

#8 2005-04-21 00:33:39

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

I make PKGBUILD for anything I install, just so I can have pacman keep track of it...

The gensync utility is very nice for keeping track of packages too. You dont have to -U /path/of/package or -R /path/of/pakage to reinstall or remove just regular -S or R.

#9 2005-04-21 03:45:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

hilariously I don't actually "know" how to build a kernel manually but i could figure it out from reading the PKGBUILD i maintain lol

#10 2005-04-21 07:20:38

IceRAM
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

hilariously I don't actually "know" how to build a kernel manually but i could figure it out from reading the PKGBUILD i maintain lol

Good for you! wink

I don't either.
Well.. I knew a long time ago... when I first used RedHat... 4... or something like that. Ever since I started using Arch I have never looked back. ABS+Pacman keep my computer sooo clean and well organized! I like knowing which files belong to who (pacman -Qo filename).

I personally don't think that kernel building is something to be by hand.
A script is more appropriate and that's what ABS does for you.

#11 2005-04-21 07:48:10

shadowhand
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

:shock: You aren't a man then!  lol Actually before Arch I used Gentoo (for about a week) and before that I used Lunar Linux (source based as well) and with Lunar, all the kernel compiling was done by hand. I got very very good at it. tongue I compiled my first kernel by hand with Knoppix though, strangely enough.

After those experiences, I'm very happy with ABS and your kernel PKGBUILD as well. I love that PKGBUILD, it's an absolute work of art. :!:

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#12 2005-04-21 08:54:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

wink  thanks, it's always nice to get some feedback, best when it's good feedback too

#13 2005-04-21 13:54:41

jerem

Well I am really happy to be able to configure MY kernel because I can get rid of modules I dont use and I dont have to bother about hotplug desperately trying to load modules that generate error messages.

Arch's stock kernel is good, but I dont like to have 40 modules loaded at the same time, each dependant of the other, which is kind of a cube tower getting always higher, thus always more unstable.
How many times have I heard of people not being able to get  sound working ? They had 15 modules for sound , which is absolutely scaring...especially when a piece of them generated strange error messages...

And if you compile your kernel, you know what exactly is handling your harware and so you are much more able to figure out what is going wrong when a device is not working anymore.

I had a working system with a stock kernel and about 30 blacklisted modules, and about 10 manually added. I felt the system was going to crash every five minutes when I was playing multimedia(which actually occured a couple of times)

I also had a working sytem with my own kernel, and it was much more stable. Hotplug loaded the modules I wanted it to load, and did not need hours to probe all my devices.

When I build external modules(NVIDIA, ipw2100 wireless drivers), they compile fine, whereas they dont always do with the stock kernel.

#14 2005-04-21 15:22:20

Moo-Crumpus

Childish. You must be kidding ... jokers.  wink
Arch is just straight. Do it like it has to be done. Just read and follow kernel.org's readmes.

In short

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … ompilation

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer