You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-23 02:32:53

t0nedef

[SOLVED] 'pacman -Su' causes harddisks to not be recognized after ...

Its odd because the issue first became apparent when I tried to install arch from an iso. I first used 2009.02 ftp iso which installed fine on two other machines. The CD booted but none of my SATA drives were recognized. I tried a couple more recent net install 2010 versions but the same issue was present. I did finally manage to install 2008.06 i686 core. My disks were recognized with no issue. After install I booted into the system and started with my pacman updates. I ran 'pacman -Sy' with no issue. I ran 'pacman -Su' which proceeded to update the whole system. Everything completed successfully. Upon reboot I saw similar issues with the SATA drives, message about trying 3G, no response, trying 1.5G. Because the root device couldn't be found the boot was stopped early.

I'm a Slackware convert, I love Arch so much I don't want to go back =P
Can anyone suggest me a path forward?
Can I post any particular information that will help a debug?

Last edited by t0nedef (2010-09-26 01:46:37)

#2 2010-09-24 18:38:23

t0nedef

Re: [SOLVED] 'pacman -Su' causes harddisks to not be recognized after ...

Okay I did some further investigation. The problem actually appears to be udev. My two hard drives never have /dev points created for them. The system seems fine with it as I am dumped into my root filesystem read-only to investigate.

#3 2010-09-26 01:42:48

t0nedef

Re: [SOLVED] 'pacman -Su' causes harddisks to not be recognized after ...

Alright well I got to the bottom of this. As it turns out this is a flaw in the XFX nForce 750a SLI motherboard. The solution from the XFX folks is to add "pci=nomsi" to the kernel options at boot. Sadly this will result in graphical program issues but this link explains how to resolve things:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/57856

Good luck to those unfortunate few with this motherboard.

Board footer