You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-21 22:56:58

pwe

"mm" patch and nvidia

hello everybody!

i have a problem with mm patchset. on kernel 2.6.12-rc2-mm3 and lower(orginal repo version and recompiled) i must on every boot reinstall nvidia drivers. there isnt and error massage.
I have nvidia module in my rc.conf
I create PKGBUILD of 2.6.12-rc2 (without mm3) and its works fine !!! On gentoo i have the same problem (there i cant login).

any ideas ?

thanks!

sorry for my english

#2 2005-04-22 01:45:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: "mm" patch and nvidia

well...... why are you using MM, it IS experimental!

Of course you're going to have problems with it.

#3 2005-04-22 03:01:10

Gullible Jones

Maybe because the "current" kernel is outdated?

For desktop users, I don't think the slight dated-ness of the stock kernel should matter - though there problems with some of its sound drivers that need to be addressed.

Anyway, if you want an up-to-date, non-experimental kernel, follow the instructions in the Arch Wiki for compiling one via ABS... It shouldn't take very long, IIRC not much over an hour on a modern PC.

As for the nVidia problem... Hmmm, well there used to be a package called nvidia-mm IIRC... Not there now though. Looks like there's no solution for the MM kernel right now, unless I'm mistaken.

#4 2005-04-22 10:33:58

pwe

it IS experimental!

Of course you're going to have problems with it.

if its experimental, isnt for use ?  wink

Anyway, if you want an up-to-date, non-experimental kernel, follow the instructions in the Arch Wiki for compiling one via ABS... It shouldn't take very long, IIRC not much over an hour on a modern PC.

what is

IIRC

??

i can compile via ABS customs kernels, i compiled 2.6.12-rc2(vanilla) and its works smile

#5 2005-04-22 10:43:30

dp
Website

iirc = if i remember correctly

pwe: sorry, i don0t have nvidia to reproduce it
if you think, this is a bug in one of the patches, you can provide feedback to the kernel devs here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer