You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-29 11:04:22

panosk

some KDE effects broke after latest upgrades

Hi all

After upgrading xorg, intel, qt, some KDE effects are broken. So far, I've found that window highlighting in the taskbar and expose windows are broken. Instead of the window contents, there's a bright white space. Anyone else with this?

EDIT: Apart from the above problems, there were also screen flashes and performance was generally awful. I just reverted back to the old xorg and intel packages and kept only the newest qt. It makes me sad that every newest xorg and intel release is much worse than previous versions... sad.

Last edited by panosk (2010-09-29 13:40:27)

#2 2010-09-29 16:28:28

ewaller
Administrator

Re: some KDE effects broke after latest upgrades

Are you using compositing?  The Intel drivers seem to be broken with regards to OpenGl.  You will need to use indirect rendering for now.  Personally, I had much better luck with compiz than with kwin.  Compiz also requires thast it run with indirect rendering, but the performance seems to be at least an order of magnitude faster.

The only I saw problem with compiz and KDE is that autohide trays don't play nicely with compiz.
As for me, this was the straw that broke the camel's back and sent me packing for Xfce + compiz.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-09-30 01:39:05

ffjia

panosk, I also have the KDE effects problem, I choose to disable effect for
window switching...

As for performance drop, currently, it seems not happened here

#4 2010-09-30 01:55:18

kalpik
Website

Major performance drop here too! I'm using an Nvidia card.

Board footer