You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-30 12:23:27

the_inq

Ugly fonts after upgrade to xorg 1.9

Hi everyone!

After upgrading to xorg 1.9 many fonts started looking strange -bold fonts looking too bold/wide-, antialiased fonts "too antialiased" . I disabled the relevant .Xdefaults entries and tried to set everything through .fonts.conf but the result was identical. Do you have any idea as to what may be going on?

Here is my current .fonts.conf (I have disabled antialiasing for small sizes but these sizes look ugly..again)

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>

<match target="font">
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>                
</match>

<match target="font" >
<test name="size" qual="any" compare="more">
<double>12</double>
</test>
 <bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font" >
<test name="pixelsize" qual="any" compare="more">
<double>17</double>
</test>
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
<const>none</const>
</edit>                                                                          
</match>                                                                         

<match target="font">                                                            
<edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">                                            
<const>hintslight</const>                                                        
</edit>                                                                          
</match>                                                                         

</fontconfig>

Thanks in advance for your insight/input!

Dimitris

Where reason fails, force prevails - Duffy Duck.

#2 2010-09-30 12:57:12

karol
Archivist

Re: Ugly fonts after upgrade to xorg 1.9

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105660

Please search the forum before posting.

Last edited by karol (2010-09-30 12:57:56)

#3 2010-09-30 14:23:43

Janax

He didn't say "Mozilla/Thunderbird/Firefox", he said xorg 1.9.  So it may be a different issue.  I'm noticing a (seemingly) kerning problem myself with Inconsolata - my terminal font - so if anyone does have some good information on this, please reply.

I am using the *-ubuntu versions of fontconfig, but don't think that this plays a part because I have a second Arch partition that doesn't have these installed yet.  Here is my "main"/current list, regardless:

cairo-ubuntu 1.10.0-1
fontconfig-ubuntu 2.8.0-1
freetype2-ubuntu 2.4.2-1
libxft-ubuntu 2.1.14-3

The above said, I can't guarantee that the fault lies with the Xorg server upgrade personally as I was fighting the x86_64 kernel/catalyst problem this morning.  I am now using the xf86-video-ati driver instead of the catalyst driver, so it may be something with the video driver.

Last edited by Janax (2010-09-30 14:24:03)

#4 2010-09-30 15:18:28

karol
Archivist

By saying "Please search the forum before posting." I meant that there are many issues with the new xorg (and drivers ...), so he might want to check those threads. If he already did and found nothing of value, he should have said this.

The link I posted suggests a different issue - if the fonts look weird in firefox, it may be a xulrunner problem, not an xorg-server one.

#5 2010-09-30 16:55:54

the_inq

Hi again. Karol, to get this out of the way, I *always* do a thorough search of the forums before asking something ;-). As to the font problems, I just wanted to point out that apparently part of the new font..rendering style is due to the upgrade from qt 4.6 to qt 4.7. This doesn't explain all the problems though. I suspect that the xorg team changed some of the default options for anti-aliasing and the like. The question is, which ones...

Where reason fails, force prevails - Duffy Duck.

Board footer