You are not logged in.

#126 2010-09-30 21:11:13

firecat53
Website

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

This is definitely my favorite browser in the lightweight webkit crowd! One small request -- when you hit tab in the open or viewopen and the history is shown, could you also show matching bookmarks (and display them first). This is like jumanji handles it, and it works well.

Also, I don't know anything about it, but is there a way to use the V8 javascript engine that's in the AUR with dwb or any of these browsers?

Thanks!
Scott

#127 2010-10-01 12:51:35

Psyce

gtklocker wrote:

Ok, I just started using dwb and I find it really good. If only I could change some font settings and find out how to make use of tabs!

(oh, and adblock of course)

OK the standard short cuts for global settings are Sgs and for keys Sk.

#128 2010-10-01 15:27:07

portix

@Psyce
I had not much time the last weeks but next week i will work on dwb again.

@gtklocker
'gm' switches between tiling layout and tabbed layout and J/K focusses the next/previous tab. 

@firecat53
Tab will show the bookmarks first.
It is not possible to use the V8 engine with dwb and also will not be possible since V8 has no C API.

Last edited by portix (2010-10-01 15:27:43)

#129 2010-10-03 21:14:16

kinhodder
Website

Is it possible to open new views in the background? IE, so that when following a link with 'F', I stay on the current view.

#130 2010-10-04 12:34:44

portix

No, it is not possible, but i put it on my todo-list, but there are more important things to be done first.

#131 2010-10-04 15:47:57

kinhodder
Website

No, it is not possible, but i put it on my todo-list

Thanks portix! It's only a tiny thing, obviously, but I thought I'd ask in case I'd missed a setting somewhere.

#132 2010-10-08 18:25:44

firecat53
Website

@portix -- small bug:
1. When using the space bar to page up and down, the position % indicator doesn't change. It only changes when you use j/k to scroll

Thanks!
Scott

#133 2010-10-10 16:50:55

firecat53
Website

@portix -- another small bug:
The bookmarks search feature that pops them up at the top of the list only matches on the URL...can it also match on the bookmark title?

Thanks!
Scott

#134 2010-10-10 17:14:46

portix

firecat53 wrote:

@portix -- small bug:
1. When using the space bar to page up and down, the position % indicator doesn't change. It only changes when you use j/k to scroll

Thanks for reporting, i will fix this.

firecat53 wrote:

@portix -- another small bug:
The bookmarks search feature that pops them up at the top of the list only matches on the URL...can it also match on the bookmark title?

This is not a bug, but i will think about it.

#135 2010-10-10 18:11:54

firecat53
Website

Thanks smile I also just discovered the issue tracker on the bitbucket site, so I cross-posted there before I saw you reply...which would you prefer in the future?

Scott

#136 2010-10-10 19:26:53

dauerbaustelle

Great browser, I love it! Especially the crap blockers (flash, javascript, ...) are really useful.

Two ideas: Possibility to hide the tab bar when only one tab is opened. Possibility to deactivate java (auto-loads on startup).

#137 2010-10-10 21:35:11

dauerbaustelle

Sometimes when I type `gs` dwb doesn't prompt me for entering a keyword for adding a search engine, to toggles image autoload. I haven't figured out in what cases. In which mode should I be to add a search engine?

Is there any possiblity to remap `d` to another key (or even `:q`?) so that accidently hitting 'd' does not shut down the browser?

#138 2010-10-11 13:52:19

portix

firecat53 wrote:

I also just discovered the issue tracker on the bitbucket site, so I cross-posted there before I saw you reply...which would you prefer in the future?

It is better to use the bugtracker on bitbucket.

@dauerbaustelle
All keybindings can be remapped pressing Sk or sk. You can map the function "remove_view" to ":q", but then also have to remap "command_mode".

#139 2010-10-11 21:49:36

dauerbaustelle

Another bug: If a website's title contains HTML entities (& &quotl; ...), they should be "translated" into one char (&, ", ...)

#140 2010-10-12 23:47:07

portix

I want to introduce a script that makes basic vi-like editing possible in textareas and textentries and can be found here.

There is an issue, i haven't found a solution to, which is the reason i didn't add it to the dwb-repository: j/k only works correct if a line isn't automatically wrapped by webkit, it only works if the line is wrapped manually.
If the textwidth variable is set to a value != 0, the text is wrapped automatically and j/k will work correct too, and it also enables showing the linenumber and lineposition.

Since both, dwb and the script, have an insert- and normalmode, C-c can be used to get into the scripts normal mode.

A list of known commands can be found in the comment at the beginnging of the script.

To use this script, just copy it to ~/.config/dwb/scripts/. It also should work with other webkit browsers that support user scripts (i only tested  it with midori).

#141 2010-10-13 00:33:45

firecat53
Website

Cool script! I just have to remember to use C-c instead of Esc to exit insert mode or I jump all the way out of dwb's insert mode and start hitting dwb shortcuts instead of vikit shortcuts :-)

Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2010-10-13 00:36:33)

#142 2010-10-15 17:01:24

prol

Thank you for making this!! This is perfect.

is there a way i can hide the tabbar?
also would it be possible for dwb to directly go in to insert mode, when lets say i go to facebook.com and want to insert login details. the blinking cursor is confusing, if u know what i mean.

#143 2010-10-15 21:17:34

evert_

I recently started using this browser and I really like it. Downside is that it's often crashing, but I'll do some gdb runs later on to give you some good feedback.

Is there more documentation then the man page? There are a lot of things unclear for me, like how to set the proxyurl. I know i can toggle it, but how to set a proxy url is completely unclear for me. In this topic you said to do it in the config.h, but there I only find a field for the proxy toggle key.

I have to agree with the person posting above me that the blinking cursor is very confusing. Especially when typing something what starts with a 'd' you can get in a loop if you're not awake big_smile. Oh, and I still have the mouse habbit of 'double clicking' text to select it, to make the reading more easy. The times i changed tabs (or do you call it views?) when doing that is enormous... tongue.

It's a promising webbrowser, thanks smile.

Last edited by evert_ (2010-10-15 21:20:16)

#144 2010-10-16 14:48:38

portix

prol wrote:

is there a way i can hide the tabbar?

No, but i can add an option.

prol wrote:

would it be possible for dwb to directly go in to insert mode, when lets say i go to facebook.com and want to insert login details. the blinking cursor is confusing, if u know what i mean.

This would only be possible with a userscript. It is not possible to get information about the focussed element in the current stable webkit version, only with the development version of webkit. But i will think about a solution for this.

evert_ wrote:

Is there more documentation then the man page? There are a lot of things unclear for me, like how to set the proxyurl. I know i can toggle it, but how to set a proxy url is completely unclear for me. In this topic you said to do it in the config.h, but there I only find a field for the proxy toggle key.

I dropped the config.h, to set the proxy-url, put

export http_proxy=... 

to your login-shell-rc.

evert_ wrote:

Oh, and I still have the mouse habbit of 'double clicking' text to select it, to make the reading more easy. The times i changed tabs (or do you call it views?) when doing that is enormous... .

I implemented this "feature" but never used it, so i removed it in the current revision.

#145 2010-10-19 09:01:23

evert_

Thanks, the proxy is working smile.

I'm still having some questions about how to use some functions in which the rather limited man page can't help me:

- bookmarks: I can make bookmarks, already made a few. But now the question: how to acces them? The man page tells me:  gB     Show Bookmarks, open bookmark in a new view (command bookmarks_nv). Well, gB shows me the list of bookmarked urls, but how to 'scroll' through them to get to the one I need?

- quickmarks: what are they and what to use them for?

- on some sites using the 'f' to show the hints isn't working at all. On others it may take a while to load them.

Just pointing out some issues I'm having with the browser, meant positively. I'm using this browser all the time, but I still have to learn a lot big_smile. Oh, one little remark I switched the focus next en focus prev keys. Using them like they are default seems counter intuitive, but that's me big_smile.

#146 2010-10-19 13:26:31

portix

Thanks for your reply, i really should write some documentation.

evert_ wrote:

- bookmarks: I can make bookmarks, already made a few. But now the question: how to acces them? The man page tells me:  gB     Show Bookmarks, open bookmark in a new view (command bookmarks_nv). Well, gB shows me the list of bookmarked urls, but how to 'scroll' through them to get to the one I need?

You can scroll through the bookmarks pressing Tab or Shift-Tab. You can also access the bookmarks via the normal tab-completion.

evert_ wrote:

- quickmarks: what are they and what to use them for?

You can define quickmarks for pages you visit very often. This pages can then be accessed through a shortcut. I can give an example: you go to archlinux.org and add the quickmark "a" by pressing "ma". The next time you can simply press "ba" to open this quickmark.

- on some sites using the 'f' to show the hints isn't working at all. On others it may take a while to load them.

i know that the performance of the hinting script isn' t the best, i try to improve it if i can motivate to do some javascript. I already thought about implementing hints without javascript, but i don't want to switch to the development version of webkit.

#147 2010-10-20 02:21:08

kx5

Thanks for this great web browser. It seems one of the bookmark bugs i encountered a while back is fixed (dwb would sometimes rewrite my bookmarks file with garbage data).

One small problem i do have now is that on open commands, whatever follows after ":open" is not stripped of whitespace on the left, so if I'm copying a url that leads with a space, it would use the default search engine to search for it.

#148 2010-10-20 15:03:32

portix

kx5 wrote:

One small problem i do have now is that on open commands, whatever follows after ":open" is not stripped of whitespace on the left, so if I'm copying a url that leads with a space, it would use the default search engine to search for it.

Thanks for mentioning, fixed in the latest revision.

#149 2010-10-20 20:03:05

arane

Great browser thus far!

I've just noticed a couple things while I've used it:

1. No matter which paste I use, it attempts to either open the string as a url. Is there currently a way to have paste paste into the text field where the cursor is currently placed?

2. I also have the crash issue whereby if I scroll to far down (either mouse, down arrow, or 'j', although using 'j' seems to result in less crashing), however the only output I've gotten thus far relates to gtk errors. If you want to see those, I can to crash it again and then post.

3. I've checked the man pages and attempted to use the commands, but I still cannot figure out how to change key bindings in the browser using Sk or sk. Could you provide a bit more detail in the man page or help file?

Edit: I just remembered the 4th issue:
4. Find previous and Find next don't seem to work for me.

Last edited by arane (2010-10-20 20:08:47)

#150 2010-10-20 21:52:32

portix

arane wrote:

1. No matter which paste I use, it attempts to either open the string as a url. Is there currently a way to have paste paste into the text field where the cursor is currently placed?

The paste functions are intended to open the string as a url. To paste into textfields you can use the webkit-builtin shortcuts (ctrl-v for clipboard shift -insert for primary selection).

arane wrote:

2. I also have the crash issue whereby if I scroll to far down (either mouse, down arrow, or 'j', although using 'j' seems to result in less crashing), however the only output I've gotten thus far relates to gtk errors. If you want to see those, I can to crash it again and then post.

Can't reproduce a crash scrolling up or down, so error messages would be great.

arane wrote:

3. I've checked the man pages and attempted to use the commands, but I still cannot figure out how to change key bindings in the browser using Sk or sk. Could you provide a bit more detail in the man page or help file?

I thought, that at least the webinterface is self-explanatory: Just enter the new shorcut in the textentry. Pressing enter will save the new shorcut.
If you use "sk" you can use tab-completion so you can scroll through the possible commands. For example if you want to remap the open-function to C-o, just enter "open Control o" in the command line.
But i know that i have to update the man-pages.

arane wrote:

4. Find previous and Find next don't seem to work for me.

I cannot reproduce this either.

Board footer