You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-01 00:43:35

DWilliams

How do I regain control of my system when some process blacked the scr

screen

Specifically this is happening with a couple games in Wine, particularly Civilization 5 and Diablo 2. When they exit, I get a black screen with my normal KDE cursor. I can't use my keyboard shortcuts for changing workspaces. My first thought was to go to another virtual terminal, log in, and terminate the process, but as far as I can tell there aren't any processes from the game still running, yet my screen remains blacked out.

My only solution is to reboot. Is there some other way I can regain control?

#2 2010-10-01 00:59:41

DIDI2002

Re: How do I regain control of my system when some process blacked the scr

Killing / restarting X would at least save you from rebooting (killall Xorg).
Maybe there's still something wine-related in (h)top? Diablo 2 worked on my Gnome desktop, but I remember I always had to reset the resolution from 640x480 with xrandr

#3 2010-10-01 01:06:55

demian

You can use the magic sysrq key.
First you gotta enable it by setting kernel.sysrq = 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf (or via echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq).
Then you can use Alt+SysRQ+K to kill all processes in the current virtual terminal. If the X server crashed you first might have to grab control over keyboard/mouse from X by pressing Alt+SysRQ+R.
If that doesn't work for you it's still better to perform a software reboot by "raising the elephant" (Alt+SysRQ+ R(aising) -> E(lephants) -> I(s) -> S(o) -> U(tterly) -> B(oring)) than to reboot the pc by pressing the reboot button.

Last edited by demian (2010-10-01 01:11:11)

no place like /home
github

#4 2010-10-01 01:43:30

ewaller
Administrator

My favorite method is to log in via ssh and do it remotely.

Also, I am an engineer and always have my trusty HP50g calculator.  I start up a terminal program on it, plug it into a USB port, and voilà! I have an instant external terminal as a console (This does require minor changes to /etc/inittab.)  This scores very high on the geek scale.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2010-10-01 02:48:55

Rad3k

If killing the game doesn't work, I would go for restarting X. If you start your login manager via inittab, you can restart X by switching runlevels - just issue (as root) "telinit 3" and then "telinit 5" to go back to graphical login.

Board footer