You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-22 16:43:31

hiower4

DE/WM Menus - current status?

Hi

I would just like to know what the current status is for the DE/WM Menus mentioned in devland.
Also, as I have some ideas and are willing to contribute, I'd like to see a roadmap or similar.

regards,
nicke

#348498 +(4737)- [X]

<MasterG> .....................................................................
<judas> where's pacman when you need him?

#2 2005-04-22 18:41:56

neri
Forum Fellow

Re: DE/WM Menus - current status?

Hi,

hiower4 wrote:

I would just like to know what the current status is for the DE/WM Menus mentioned in devland.
Also, as I have some ideas and are willing to contribute, I'd like to see a roadmap or similar.

ahem, to be honest, not so far. Currently mainly the distribution of complete and correct .desktop files is forced and focused, since this goes along with the freedesktop standards and moreover automatically generates menues in KDE, Gnome and XFCE4 at least.
The overall advantage of that approach is, that it shouldn't be so difficult to write a parser that translates desktop files into menues. Then we need some drivers which convert the parsed file into Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM etc

-neri

#3 2005-04-22 19:07:29

JGC
Developer

Re: DE/WM Menus - current status?

Today I saw gentoo using an ECLASS that generates these files. We're still not using a class based system and haven't looked at implementing one, but until now, I've been making my own .desktop files by hand for programs that include an icon file (I suck at making icons tongue).

Board footer