You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-01 18:12:43

alharaka

GNU Parted and Small Spaces Between Partitions on MBP 6,2 GPT Disk

See the original on ServerFault .  Long story short, I have tried multiple times and have no clue what I am doing wrong.  Any thoughts?  All I wanted to do is create the partitions on my MBP 6,2 before starting the installer, since it has a GPT disk the usual suspect cannot use it (so says the Arch installer).  So, I want to create the /boot partition for the obvious, and a nice big LVM to make my life easier.  Problem is, even when crafting partition with bytes as the unit, I run into trouble running partitions right next to each other.  If I do other units, I actually get a couple of MB's of space in between them.  Is that normal?  I checked a Fedora and Debian VM, and I saw there is no space, and they align right up next to each other.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I tried asking on #archlinux, but no one had a hint after 48 hours, so I thought I move here.  And yes, I could use GParted.  But hey, I came to Arch to learn to do things the hard way and get to know Linux better, not play with GUI utilities (as much as they were a crutch in the past).  Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-10-01 19:30:00

skodabenz
Banned

Re: GNU Parted and Small Spaces Between Partitions on MBP 6,2 GPT Disk

Use archboot ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/iso/archboot/ and GPT fdisk (extra/gdisk package -already available in Archboot). Use parted --align optimal option to create 1 MB aligned partitions which is ideal for any sector size. Arch's official iso does not support GPT and Arch's GRUB legacy also does not support GPT. See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUI … tion_Table .

The reason you are seeing gaps between partitions is because the partitioning program uses cylinder alignment. Do not use normal fdisk in GPT drives.

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2010-10-02 05:36:46

alharaka

Re: GNU Parted and Small Spaces Between Partitions on MBP 6,2 GPT Disk

Very cool.  Thanks for the info.  Ironically, I had looked at some wiki pages, but the relevant pages never mention this.  I was going to write up some of my own documentation. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by alharaka (2010-10-02 05:37:04)

Board footer