You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-27 17:49:38

greengold

pulseaudio over network

Hi all!
once agin I need help...
I have had working pulseaudio on my computer but its not working as sound server any more.pulseaudio over network worked on this computer about month ago. I did reinstall whole pulseaudio as wiki says but without changes...
I dont want to reinstall whole OS just because of pulseaudio, so can anyone help me to make it work?
I'll send you all logs you want!
thanks!

#2 2010-09-28 00:34:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: pulseaudio over network

You need to do your own investigation first. Does pulse start, does it output error messages, do your apps start, are there any error messages, did you do changes you shouldn't have or conflicting changes?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-28 16:04:41

greengold

pulse doesnt start... on my computers pulse had never started.. (daemon) but, with fresh installation its working even if its not starting properly.
padevchooser startes like it should on both machines.
on client I have enabled server function too and it can detect itself so I think problem would be with server (it cant detect itself as server)
just tell me which messages you want to see and I'll post it.
as I'm saying, ti was fiully functioning but as time goes by it just stop working (over network) on both machines sound is well functioning.
I didn't notest any conflicts

#4 2010-09-28 16:36:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. It doesn't start but it worked? How do you know it did not start? padevchooser is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore, you should use paprefs and pavucontrol (or edit files manually).

What happens when pulse is run from the terminal?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-09-28 16:55:09

greengold

I mean, daemon cant start.. ( [FAILED] )
deprecated? hmm, if it can detect itself as server on one computer, I think it should work..
if I do start-pulseaudio-x11 and pax11publish -e -S <pulse server ip> it does nothing...

#6 2010-09-28 23:07:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Daemon can't start means you're using pulseaudio in system mode. Why?

#7 2010-09-30 11:32:28

greengold

because I want to stream audio over network

#8 2010-09-30 16:37:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

greengold wrote:

because I want to stream audio over network

And what gives you the idea you can't do that when running as a user?

#9 2010-09-30 21:42:05

greengold

really...
I just had followed wiki... http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pul … er_network

#10 2010-10-01 00:08:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ#Howd … thenetwork

That should be ALL you need. I'm not sure who did up the Arch article on that, and I'll probably look into changing it when I have the time, but you do not need to run pulseaudio as root in order to send audio over the network. The only reason to do that is if your remote machine does not have a user or runs without anyone logged in (headless server of some sort).

#11 2010-10-01 09:40:15

greengold

hmm... even if system wide daemon seem to be less preffered solution, it used to work for me!
padevchooser was flexible way to set sound server

I have followed "howto" you've send to me, but...
here is concat of config files:
/etc/pulse/system.pa

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Automatically restore volumes
load-module module-volume-restore table="/var/pulse/volume-restore.table"
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp loopback=0
auth-anonymous=1

/etc/hosts.allow

pulseaudio-native: ALL

/etc/pulse/client.conf

; default-sink =
; default-source =
 default-server = tcp:192.168.0.10

even if this would work, is it flexible to change between servers?or if I would want to change server I have to rewrite server address and restart?-I wouldn't like that
anyway system wide daemon used to work fine and now when I cant use that way anymore it look for me like other problem with pulse and I see my chances to make it work very low hmm on the other side too high with reinstall of whole system hmm/

#12 2010-10-01 14:37:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I believe you can define a PULSE_SERVER env variable on login to dynamically change the pulseaudio server, I've seen mention of that before. padevchooser is deprecated (which is why its in the AUR now).

What happens when you run pulseaudio (as user) with high verbosity?

#13 2010-10-01 17:36:51

greengold

on both machines

$ pulseaudio --start -v
I: main.c: Daemon startup successful.
[tepo@timeline32 ~]$

cat /etc/rc.local

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user startup script.
#
export PULSE_SERVER=192.168.0.10

but nothing happens about sound streaming...

can you please tell me which config files, logs etc. you want to see and I'll post it?
when everything seems to be ok it would be probable just small misconfig. hmm

#14 2010-10-01 22:44:15

greengold

okay, or let me try it this way... what about totally removing all sound related programs,configs and to start over?
I just need to simulate "new" state of fresh arch installation...
really, this thing makes me crazy big_smile

#15 2010-10-01 23:10:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You could just remove everything in /etc/pulse and ~/.pulse and then reinstall the pulseaudio package.

And when running pulseaudio please use at least -vvvv to see anything useful (that's 4 'v's, 5 may be better).

#16 2010-10-02 09:49:14

greengold

I had uninstall everything related to auio with "pacman -Rdsn" removed that two directories and install all over agin but without changes.. hmm
starting pulseaudio with "pulseaudio --start -vvvvv" produces the same output I have posted before big_smile
I just don't have "luck"...
think I going to reinstall tongue

Board footer