You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-02 14:38:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

New VTE and Xfce's Terminal: TERM value not set; falls back to "dumb"

I upgraded to vte 0.26 yesterday, today I started my laptop again, and I get my terminal behaving strangely. Irssi doesn't launch, and if I try to issue simple commands like
clear, I get a message that that kind of functions is not supported. Same thing with Irssi, which I launch with a Terminal call from my menu (it complains about the terminal not supporting certain functions). And behold - my terminal is as dumb as it looks:

$ echo TERM
dumb

The funny thing is Xfce's terminal has xterm-256color set as terminal type, but it does not seem to have any effect anymore (it worked before).

I have found a similar bug report on Ubuntu's Launchpad. I can of course use export TERM=xterm-256color, but that's not a real solution in the long term (it's just a hack, Terminal's terminal type setting ability seems to be broken). Another google search suggested vte had changed behaviour and e.g. Ubuntu had 'xterm' hardcoded as a TERM value in gnome-terminal.

Any input on this? I guess I should file a bug report too tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#2 2010-10-02 14:52:30

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: New VTE and Xfce's Terminal: TERM value not set; falls back to "dumb"

kinda funny that you were able to find that bug on launchpad and not in our tracker. hint, search term vte

Last edited by wonder (2010-10-02 14:53:17)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-10-02 15:00:20

karol
Archivist

wonder wrote:

kinda funny that you were able to find that bug on launchpad and not in our tracker. hint, search term vte

I think people often look in the wrong project; if you search for 'vte' in e.g. Pacman-related bugs, you'll get zilch.

#4 2010-10-02 15:02:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I googled what my terminal told me, the TERM value being set to dumb. That does not appear in the bug on FlySpray wink.

For future reference, and for those so unlucky only to get the 'dumb terminal' message: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21007

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2010-10-02 19:30:03

jarryson

meet the same problem in tilda. use `env TERM=xterm tilda' to solve this problem temporarily..

Board footer