You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-02 00:42:46

Daphron

nvidia unable to allocate DMA memory

I pacman -Syu'd a few days ago and it updated xorg to some extent. The next time I start up I don't have X. I've tried using just about every combo of nvidia, nvidia-utils and xorg that you can think of. (I allowed in testing packages to see if it fixes, it didn't). So now I have a fully upgraded system without the testing repo. I have these files in my xorg.conf.d directory.

http://pastebin.com/xUyqjjZQ (all files in the xorg.conf.d directory
http://pastebin.com/wcXeDJ8T ( the xorg log file)

I also tried to use nvidia-xconfig to make a xorg.conf file but it does the same stuff the directory does
http://pastebin.com/xPtcijQG (the tested xorg.conf file if you are curious)

Any help would be appreciated.  (Note: I've seen some stuff about kernel adjustments and if you give me those I need to know how to do them with LILO (grub and grub2 aren't nice to my macbook)

#2 2010-09-02 01:08:00

Xabre

Re: nvidia unable to allocate DMA memory

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Default nvidia Device"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "NoLogo" "True"
        Option IgnoreABI   True
EndSection

Don't ever use testing repo before reading nvidia-related documentation on mailing lists. wink

Last edited by Xabre (2010-09-02 01:08:24)

#3 2010-09-02 01:13:36

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

And put [Testing] topics in the appropiate subforums please smile. Moved.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2010-09-02 04:55:38

kazuo
Website

I get a failed "allocate DMA" some days ago when I are messing with the various nvidia drivers and xorg versions (because a performance regression).

Recompiling nvidia and nvidia-utils solved (more exactly I recompiled the nvidia-beta and nvidia-utils-beta), but I cant remember the exactly error. So you can try to update or recompile your nvidia and nvidia-utils packages.

#5 2010-09-02 12:01:36

gauthma
Website

As pointed by kazuo, recompiling the nvidia module solved that issue (that I also came across some days ago), because there was an incompatibility between the module and the kernel version. The next day this was reported in the arch-dev-public mailing list (which users of testing are very much encouraged to read), and an update for the nvidia driver was released, and that solved the problem. I don't know if the same issue happened again, but in any case, recompiling the module sounds like the appropriate course of action (details are provided in the wiki).

EDIT: when I first encountered this problem, I posted more details here

Last edited by gauthma (2010-09-02 12:07:55)

#6 2010-09-03 22:31:13

Daphron

Ok, I have put the ABI off thing in the file and recompiled both nvidia and nvidia-utils. Same message. I am not using any packages in the testing repo at the moment, only dived into it in hopes of a quick fix. That didn't happen, so I'd like to avoid using testing packages if possible.

#7 2010-09-05 22:38:32

Daphron

reinstalling the kernel got it to sort of work. I can now start X but it is veeeeery slow and glx doesn't appear to be installed. All pictures look like paintings also and when I boot up an application, it changes the color of my background (feh). all packages from normal repos (not testing).

#8 2010-10-03 15:01:22

mizux

I had the same problem with a 9300M, using the aur package nvidia-cuda(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41380) (i.e. driver 260.24) now, it works (at least Twm).
I modify the pkbuild to use this driver with xorg-server 1.9....

Board footer