You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-01 15:21:04

dcc24

Weird LVM issues on a USB disk

Allright, either this is extremely weird or I'm missing something obvious. Here is the scenario:

I have 2 machines, lets call them A and B. Machine A is LVM enabled and in fact the system resides in an LVM volume. Machine B's kernel doesn't have LVM support enabled.

Now, I plugged a USB disk in machine A, created a single physical partition on it and then used LVM to create 3 logical volumes. I've mounted 2 of these volumes in /mnt and unmounted them (with umount) after a while.

I've then plugged it on machine B. Realizing it doesn't support LVM, I removed the drive (pulled the cable, as there is nothing to unmount) and plugged it back into machine A. Now the fun part begins...

I can't mount any of these logical volumes! Mount gives a block device error, something similar with fsck and dmesg is full of I/O errors!

So my question is: What the hell just happened?

Last edited by dcc24 (2010-10-01 16:08:40)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#2 2010-10-03 15:32:57

delcypher

Re: Weird LVM issues on a USB disk

I'm very new to using LVM so I can't be much help. I did find this article the other day about LVM recovery though

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/19386.html

Good luck!

Board footer