You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-03 08:31:51

hmohammed43

KDE and GNOME?

Hi everyone

Because KDE can be quite moany, is there a way to install both KDE and GNOME, but keep them kinda isolated from each other?

If that makes no sense (doesn't to me), I mean, like install both, but keep each other's apps and applets out of the way (like, no gnome network applet in KDE, and AWN in gnome but not KDE)

Thanks in advance

#2 2010-10-03 08:48:50

agapito

Re: KDE and GNOME?

I have both 3 desktops (kde, gnome and xfe) and i have an user for each desktop. It works better, because there aren't conflicts between desktops. And you can edit menus to delete apps from others desktops.

Excuse my poor English.

#3 2010-10-03 17:11:06

superchango

Yeah, only deactive Gnome Startup applications in KDE sessions  (KDE Startup applications don't start in Gnome session) & delete entry in respectives menus.

"Yo creo que los muertos son tiernos. ¿Nos besamos?"

#4 2010-10-03 17:18:19

ozar

hmohammed43 wrote:

Because KDE can be quite moany, is there a way to install both KDE and GNOME, but keep them kinda isolated from each other?

If that makes no sense (doesn't to me), I mean, like install both, but keep each other's apps and applets out of the way (like, no gnome network applet in KDE, and AWN in gnome but not KDE)

You could setup a dual-boot system, one Arch install with Gnome, and one with KDE.  That should keep them pretty well separated if they aren't allowed to share anything but SWAP and your GRUB configuration file.

oz

Board footer