You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-04 20:05:13

bgld

fawesome - a 2D game engine

Description

(A demo for Windows (in German) is available here (if anyone's interested tongue). I could try to make a PKGBUILD (from git) as well if you're interested.)

Fawesome is a 2D engine that allows easy multiplatform development of games. Currently only Windows and Linux are supported, but OS X shouldn't be a problem either. Even PSP or Nintendo DS ports should be possible, as the engine uses SDL and is written in C++, though I can't promise anything about that.

The general concept of fawesome is quite different than that of programs like the RPG Maker. It doesn't use tile sets, instead, there is one sprite that gets tiled all over the map. Single sprites, contained in layers, can then be overlaid over the map. These sprites can also be animated (multiple frames).

Fawesome uses Tcl as a scripting language. Games can be scripted from the ground up, starting with a black screen, a standard library for RPGs is planned though.

Also, the engine will have an editor that runs as a "game" within the engine, for quick testing and bug fixing.

Screens

[The characters are borrowed from some RPG Maker guy (Dhan) because I don't have any of my own yet]

screen1.png
The demo.
screen2.png
Dragging a sprite (just like it will look in the editor; the root is a sprite of its own and therefore has no alpha wink)
screen3.png
A simple text box.
mapping.png
This one shows the graphical and mapping style that is possible using the engine.

The demo/Current state of development

At the moment it's possible to walk around as a "hero", talking to some guy (an event handler) and draging sprites around with the mouse (think editor). The tcl source is interpreted dynamically so you can already play around with it smile.

Known bugs/problems

- Midis only work on linux (with a suitable patchset and /etc/timidity.conf (NOT /etc/timidity++/*) in place.
- The game sometimes freezes for ~10 seconds when it loses focus (Workaround: fullscreen=true in engine.cfg ;P)

Git repo

The git repo of the project resides on http://gitorious.org/fawesome.

To compile, you need fawesound (sound library) first, then you can build fawesome.

That's all folks, thank you guys for all answers!

Board footer