You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-17 04:55:06

TomB17

How smoothly can I expect KDE 4.4 5-1 -> KDE 4.5.1?

I've been trying to hold off upgrading KDE because I've had such miserable trouble with it.  Right now, I'm running 4.4.5-1.  A couple of things are broken but it's fairly stable and certainly usable.

How smoothly can I expect a 4.5.1 upgrade to go?  I'm not desperate but I can't sort any of the list containers right now and I can't upgrade KTorrent which I'd really like to do.

#2 2010-09-17 05:09:44

scarletxfi

Re: How smoothly can I expect KDE 4.4 5-1 -> KDE 4.5.1?

Personally I upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5 with no problems at all.
I prefer 4.5.1 over 4.4 as it seems that little bit more stable then 4.4..

#3 2010-09-17 05:26:36

TomB17

Thanks for the quick response, scarletxfi.

I'm going to give it a try.  This isn't a good time for me to be offline for an extended period of time but you know what they say...  no guts, no air medal.

#4 2010-09-17 06:33:40

scarletxfi

Like I said... Personal experience was really good. pacman -Syu , (came with kernel update as well) ... reset; didn't notice any major changes, but there are nice new features (stability... woohoo!) which I prefer ...
anyway.. good luck! let us know if you have problems...

#5 2010-09-17 21:05:51

TomB17

big_smile

Not unsurprisingly, it's taken a while to be able to post this message.  KTorrent is not working (draws part of it's application window and then hangs and have to kill it from the command line.  Kontact is completely dead.  Containers still won't sort but now it doesn't seem like such a big deal.  big_smile

I've loved KDE for years but it's gnome time.  I'm pretty sure my last clean install of KDE was May of this year.  That's four months....  not bad by recent KDE standards.

Last edited by TomB17 (2010-09-17 21:07:10)

#6 2010-09-18 11:55:36

scarletxfi

error log?
I don't know what you did.. works fine for me...

#7 2010-09-18 14:28:26

syms

TomB17 wrote:

big_smile

Not unsurprisingly, it's taken a while to be able to post this message.  KTorrent is not working (draws part of it's application window and then hangs and have to kill it from the command line.  Kontact is completely dead.  Containers still won't sort but now it doesn't seem like such a big deal.  big_smile

I've loved KDE for years but it's gnome time.  I'm pretty sure my last clean install of KDE was May of this year.  That's four months....  not bad by recent KDE standards.

Thats because 4.5 has many new features compared to 4.4, thats why theres always many problems when upgrading using same old config. Four months with no clean kde config was ok because you only upgraded from e.g. 4.4.0 to 4.4.1, 4.4.2. The same happens with kde 4.5.0 to kde 4.5.1 transistion. So if you will now have a clean config, you will  be able to use it next five months. with no problems (until kde 4.6 will come up) smile

#8 2010-09-18 14:41:17

EdgarButan

syms wrote:
TomB17 wrote:

big_smile

Thats because 4.5 has many new features compared to 4.4, thats why theres always many problems when upgrading using same old config. Four months with no clean kde config was ok because you only upgraded from e.g. 4.4.0 to 4.4.1, 4.4.2. The same happens with kde 4.5.0 to kde 4.5.1 transistion. So if you will now have a clean config, you will  be able to use it next five months. with no problems (until kde 4.6 will come up) smile

That may be true, but it is completely unacceptable.
With KDE4 (which I at no time thought of as a failure! Not even with KDE 4.0), it seems to have become an acceptable solution for all kinds of problems that occured when updating from one version to another to "simply remove your config".
Two of my panels disappeared ("disappear" as in "I cannot see them anymore"; they're still there showing notifications and eating RAM and CPU, but I cannot remove them) when updating from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1. No non-KDE applications are displayed in the Systray. The comic plasmoid among others fails to start because its engine fails; I cannot install new Plasmoids via GHNS, they simply don't appear in my list.
This is not even a major release! What's the solution? Once again remove my config and reconfigure my entire desktop?
I really don't want to change my clothes every time I wash my hands.

#9 2010-09-18 17:41:22

Labello
Website

EdgarButan wrote:

But you should if you take a shower :-)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#10 2010-09-18 20:38:39

TomB17

For what it's worth, I will point out...  again... my containers stopped sorting before the 4.5.1 upgrade.  That's partially why I upgraded.  I couldn't try KTorrent 4.0.3 without KDE 4.5.  I thought 4.0.3 might be a fix for my KTorrent issues.

Also, I tried creating a new user and logging in as that user just now.  Now KTorrent will start but it has the rest of the same issues.  This doesn't look like a profile issue.

Last edited by TomB17 (2010-09-18 20:39:33)

#11 2010-09-18 22:59:40

scarletxfi

just adding my two bobs worth.. I've been using kde for a long time (along with openbox) .. I have kde on my computer since KDE 3.5 (debian install, arch came with 4.3) and I've only once had major trouble with it (logon and kdeinit crahses) ..
I'm not sure why you guys are having problems...
btw my hardware is pretty old:
amd 3500, 2gb ram, nvidia 8400gs

#12 2010-09-24 21:37:17

TomB17

My system is a few years old but not as old as that, scarletxfi.

AMD 9850
Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX/SB750)
8GB RAM
4 x 750GB Samsung F1 HDD
6 x 1.5TB Seagate HDD
8 x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS
1 x  64GB Kingston SSDNow V+ SNVP325S264GB:
x86 Arch + KDE v4.5.1

I'd like to clean this system off so I can install Ubuntu.  It would really help if I could manage to get containers to sort so I could use Dolphin to organize some data before nuking the system.

Again, when I click the column titles in Dolphin - details view (ie: Name, Size, Date), it has no effect on the sort of the container.  It should re-sort based on the new key field.

I've tried re-installing the components of kde-base and I've created a new user and logged in as that user to try a new profile but neither worked.  I rebooted after re-installation too.  This was broken in 4.4 already.

With Dolphin, I can go into "View->Sort by-> <field>", but there are other apps that I'd like to be able to sort and remove data from before I nuke the system.

Any ideas?

#13 2010-10-05 16:22:32

TomB17

I thought I'd post an update to this situation in case someone finds this with a search and is trying to solve a similar problem.

I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and it's been running fine.  At that time, I also installed a second RAID chassis with a bunch more disk.  My old 7.5TB RAID5 array was formatted EXT3.  That array is three years old.  The new 8TB RAID5 array is formatted XFS.  Yeah, it took a few days to copy one array to the other.

I ended up booting back into Arch/KDE to export some stuff and noticed containers sort and work perfectly when using the XFS copy of my home dirs.  Mounting the EXT3 home dirs makes the containers fail to sort every time and XFS works perfectly every time.

... so I mounted the XFS home dirs and ran an 'fsck' against the EXT3 partition.  It came up fairly clean.  There were a few dozen inode issues that were repaired by hitting <enter>.  Mounting the EXT3 home dirs after the fsck still causes containers to stop sorting.

The whole deal seems very odd to me.

#14 2010-10-05 18:38:40

mat69

syms wrote:
TomB17 wrote:

big_smile

That is not true. The KConfig Xt system used in KDE should ensure that updating should work. Your config files only store the changes that are different from the default. Now when you install a new version the file containing all the defaults is being overwritten. So for me -- as I have noticed elsewhere -- it appears that some programs mess up.
And as it turns out it is often plasma that does not work when updating. Not sure what fails there.

EdgarButan wrote:

That may be true, but it is completely unacceptable.
With KDE4 (which I at no time thought of as a failure! Not even with KDE 4.0), it seems to have become an acceptable solution for all kinds of problems that occured when updating from one version to another to "simply remove your config".
Two of my panels disappeared ("disappear" as in "I cannot see them anymore"; they're still there showing notifications and eating RAM and CPU, but I cannot remove them) when updating from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1. No non-KDE applications are displayed in the Systray. The comic plasmoid among others fails to start because its engine fails; I cannot install new Plasmoids via GHNS, they simply don't appear in my list.
This is not even a major release! What's the solution? Once again remove my config and reconfigure my entire desktop?

Btw. the issue with comic and plasmoids via GHNS was a bug in KZip and is fixed in 4.5.2 --> yeah I know still sucks that it did not work in 4.5.1 to begin with.

Please report your issue with sorting on bko, if you haven't already.

Last edited by mat69 (2010-10-05 18:39:55)

Board footer