You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-02 23:00:57

Azriel

E17 trouble with mazimizing Chromium...

Hi,

I'm using  E17 and I'm currently facing an issue which is really making me go nuts.

I have two shelves on the top of my screen, and one on the bottom, when I maximize a window I want it to go under my bottom shelf, but stops its vertical maximization under the top shelves.

This screenshot shows an example of what my window should look like

I've succeded in doing that by checking "allow window to overlap the shelf" on the bottom one, and unchecking it on the top twos.

This is where it gets tricky: as you can see on my screenshot I have a tray between the two top shelves, and as it is now, everytime it changes (new icon is added or an icon is removed from the tray) it will get "kicked down" because e17 thinks it's overlapping the shelves.

If I check the "allow window to overlap the shelf" for the two top shelves, the tray will act correctly, but Chromium won't maximize correctly (it will use the whole screen, and go under the top shelves which is disturbing).

The problem can be solves for other windows by just resizing them as I wish, and then locking their position/size. Chromium won't behave though, even if I use those locking.

I've had this problem for a long time, and actually solved it about two month ago, so I know it's possible, but I lost my config files and am unable to find back how I did that...

I see two possibles solutions, but I can't find any way to set any of these two:

* Either leaving the boxes checked for all my shelves, and then finding a way to make Chromium behave like any other window (and why doesn't it do it anyway ?)

* Or unchecking them and then finding a way to set my tray to be allowed to "overlap the shelf" (although it doesn't really do it, but I guess e17 thinks that a shelf use the whole width of the screen altough it's been shrunk to content width)

Locking the tray position within e17 doesn't work either, since it's not the program who's trying to change its position, but e17 itself, and AFAIK there is no wat to forbid e17 to move a window...

I would really appreciate any help because right now i have to choose between having Chromium maximizing stupidly or having my tray jump and having to put it back in place every time i close or open an app who has an icon on the tray...

Last edited by Azriel (2010-10-02 23:24:48)

#2 2010-10-03 00:26:06

gefarion

Re: E17 trouble with mazimizing Chromium...

Why not use the system tray module for e17?.

#3 2010-10-03 10:35:28

Azriel

gefarion wrote:

Why not use the system tray module for e17?.

To be honest the main reason is habit: when I started using e17 there was no "gadget" so we had to put the tray in a shelf, which came out ugly.

Thanks to you I'm now using the systray as a gadget, which lets me have something close to what I want, but I find it not as pretty as my stalonetray, I can't have the "pixel" border, only, and the icons in the tray are a little bit weird (they seem to be cut a few pixels on the left and on the bottom).

So it's really close to what I want, and definitely better than my previous situation, but I would still love to be able to stay with my stalonetray...

[EDIT] Plus it seems that the e17 tray does not get wider as new icons are added, stalonetray's size grew up and shrunk as icons were added or removed (with a minimum width of 3 icons), so with e17 tray it seems that I have to choose between making it very wide and then having a border around unused space, or having icons going out off of the tray... (i don't like borderless windows)

Last edited by Azriel (2010-10-03 10:40:07)

#4 2010-10-05 22:41:34

Azriel

Hi again,

I've found out that if I lock position *and* size for stalonetray, then the tray stays where I put it. But as soon as I unlock program changing size it will be "kicked down", even if size doesn't actually change.

My guess would be that stalonetray checks that it has the correct width every time a new icon is added/removed from tray, and the resets its size, which makes E17 recalculate its position, hence the kick down.

The E17 built-in system tray it decent enough, but still has a few bugs, and will lose almost every application it contains if I restart e17, plus it has a few annoying bugs (for instance, every time I start e17 I got two errors saying that I can only have one tray active at a time, and if I remove the one I already have and restart e17 I don't have any errors, so it's really just e17 thinking i've got more tray than I really have)

Or if anyone knew of an another systray that would be light and functionnal like stalonetray and which would propose command-line options to avoid being "kicked down", I would be glad to give it a shot.

Board footer