You are not logged in.

#151 2010-09-20 12:41:54

BurntSushi
Website

Re: PyTyle: Manual tiling manager for EWMH compliant WM's

You can currently make that square by using the vertical layout and increasing the number of master windows (alt + .).

If that isn't the behavior you'd like, could you describe what you want a little more? Thanks!

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#152 2010-09-24 07:40:34

adamlau

Anyone get PyTyle to work with JWM?

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#153 2010-09-24 07:47:10

m4co
Website

BurntSushi wrote:

You can currently make that square by using the vertical layout and increasing the number of master windows (alt + .).

If that isn't the behavior you'd like, could you describe what you want a little more? Thanks!

That is true smile

Now I'm happy.

Will think more if there's anything I'd like to see and tell you later (if any).

Would be good to get opinions from tiling wm users.

Don't panic !

#154 2010-09-27 06:45:15

na12

You should to see how musca manage tiling,it is the best tiling wm for me.Keybindings is very easy to learn.

#155 2010-09-27 13:16:14

BurntSushi
Website

na12 wrote:

You should to see how musca manage tiling,it is the best tiling wm for me.Keybindings is very easy to learn.

Yup--I'm actually working on modeling the manual tiling aspect after Musca smile

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

#156 2010-10-05 13:54:17

SleepyFloyd

Something in yesterdays updates broke pytyle. Trying to start it gives me:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pytyle", line 54, in <module>
    from PyTyle.State import State
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyTyle/State.py", line 38, in <module>
    from PyTyle.Probe import PROBE
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyTyle/Probe.py", line 37, in <module>
    from Xlib.display import Display
ImportError: No module named Xlib.display
[1]    10141 exit 1     pytyle

I tried to reinstall from the AUR. Installation breaks with:

PyTyle requires the Python X Library
See: http://python-xlib.sourceforge.net/
  File "./setup.py", line 31, in <module>
    sys.exit(0)
NameError: name 'sys' is not defined

So (wild guess ;p) python-xlib, which was upgraded yesterday, is probably the culprit.

#157 2010-10-05 14:08:49

BurntSushi
Website

SleepyFloyd,

Strange... I just uninstalled pytyle and python-xlib and reinstall them--everything seems to be working.

I'll try to investigate more later today--but could you try that? (Remove both pytyle and python-xlib and reinstall.) Thanks!

#158 2010-10-05 14:39:45

SleepyFloyd

┌┌(sleepy@Laptop)-(04:23-:-10/05)┌-¨-¨¨˙
└┌(~)┌¨˙sudo clyde -Rsnc pytyle
Passwort: 
checking dependencies...

Remove (2): pytyle-0.7.4-1  python-xlib-0.15rc1-4  

Total Removed Size:   1,52 MB

Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
(1/2) removing pytyle                              [#########################################] 100%
(2/2) removing python-xlib                         [#########################################] 100%
┌┌(sleepy@Laptop)-(04:32-:-10/05)┌-¨-¨¨˙
└┌(~)┌¨˙sudo clyde -S pytyle 
:: pytyle package not found, searching for group...
:: pytyle group not found, searching AUR...

==> Installing the following packages from repos

==> Installing the following packages from AUR
Targets (1): pytyle  

==> Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
checking package integrity...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [#########################################] 100%
(1/1) installing python-xlib                       [#########################################] 100%
==> Downloading pytyle.tar.gz
    ( Unsupported package from AUR: Potentially dangerous! )
==> Edit the PKGBUILD (highly recommended for security reasons)? [Y/n] n
==> Erstelle Paket: pytyle 0.7.4-1 (Di 5. Okt 16:32:35 CEST 2010)
==> Prüfe Laufzeit-Abhängigkeiten... 
==> Prüfe Buildtime-Abhängigkeiten... 
==> Empfange Quellen...
  -> pytyle-0.7.4.tar.gz gefunden
==> Überprüfe Gültigkeit der Quell-Dateien mit md5sums...
    pytyle-0.7.4.tar.gz ... Durchgelaufen
==> Entpacke Quellen...
  -> Entpacke pytyle-0.7.4.tar.gz mit bsdtar 
==> Entferne existierendes pkg/ Verzeichnis ...
==> Betrete fakeroot-Umgebung ...
==> Beginne build()...

PyTyle requires the Python X Library
See: http://python-xlib.sourceforge.net/
  File "./setup.py", line 31, in <module>
    sys.exit(0)
NameError: name 'sys' is not defined
    Breche ab ...
error: Build failed
[1]    15516 exit 1     sudo clyde -S pytyle

hmm

Not sure what's wrong. Can you check whether you're using python-xlib 0.15rc1-4? I'm on x86_64 here. Did a "clyde -Syu" on another machine here, which runs 32bit Arch. There was no python-xlib update there (and pytyle) is still working.

EDIT: Do'h... forgot that I had [community-testing] enabled on my laptop. That's why there's no update on my other box. Anyway, looks like python-xlib 0.15rc1-4 breaks pytyle...

EDIT x 2: Downgraded to python-xlib 0.15rc1-3, pytyle installs and works fine again.

Last edited by SleepyFloyd (2010-10-05 14:49:49)

#159 2010-10-05 15:55:50

BurntSushi
Website

Ah, yup, I see: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=python-xlib

I guess I'll need to be checking out what has changed in rc1-4. Thanks for the heads up!

#160 2010-10-05 17:58:35

BurntSushi
Website

Ah... The problem is Python 2.7... python-xlib in community-testing uses python 2.7, which is the only difference. I'll see what I can do about getting pytyle working with 2.7.

#161 2010-10-05 22:17:42

murr

I have [testing] and [community-testing] enabled.  I just patched the pytyle executable to change '#!/usr/bin/python' to '#!/usr/bin/python2', changed python to python2 in the PKGBUILD and rebuilt.  It seems to work perfectly now.

Thanks for a great piece of software, by the way.

#162 2010-10-06 18:28:45

BurntSushi
Website

@murr - Great, thanks for the heads up. It's good news that I don't have to do anything special to get pytyle working on 2.7 smile

Also... to anyone else... Given that I'm working on PyTyle 2, and I hope a release is forthcoming, what is the best practice in terms of releasing it? Should I replace the PKGBUILD in the AUR with a new one for PyTyle 2, or create a new package called "pytyle2" and leave the current "pytyle" package alone? (And maybe post an update on the package page that a new release has been made?)

#163 2010-10-06 20:36:09

na12

I think you should replace it.

#164 2010-10-06 22:13:48

BurntSushi
Website

Also, keep in mind, the configuration file will be in a completely different format, and some of the default keybindings may change (or change behavior).

(Note: I am well aware that a lot of people really enjoy pytyle for what it is and how simple it is. I haven't forgotten that, and I'm doing my best to make sure a lot of the "new" stuff that's added is 1) sensible and 2) out-of-the-way if it's extra fluff. The primary goal of PyTyle 2 is more stability across window managers, cleaner code base, and manual tiling.)

#165 2010-10-06 22:22:36

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I think that if the upcoming changes will be so great that things will break, the new package is a wiser choice
Users that use pytyle should somehow be informed that pytyle2 is there though.
Gentoo has a news-newsletter system built within portage. I dont know if something like that exists for pacman but if it does here's a good use for it

.:[ git me! ] :.

#166 2010-10-07 12:17:58

SleepyFloyd

Definitely go for a new package. I will try out pytyle2 for sure, but I think pytyle is almost flawless the way it is (talking from a user point of view, haven't checked out your code).
Don't fix what isn't broken... but if you wanna fix it, leave the original option intact.

#167 2010-10-15 16:46:41

BurntSushi
Website

I've updated PyTyle 1 with a patch from Johannes Pirkl that allows controlling PyTyle through the command line. (See http://pytyle.com for more details.) Also, the PKGBUILD should be okay with Python overhaul now.

Last edited by BurntSushi (2010-10-15 16:47:11)

#168 2010-10-19 17:39:12

BurntSushi
Website

PyTyle seems to be okay with the recent Python overhaul. If it isn't working for you, simply try reinstalling pytyle from the AUR (that's all I needed to do).

#169 2010-10-28 00:28:05

spazzwig

Firstly before reporting on bugs I have to say thank-you very much for PyTyle... this is a fantastic tool and I'm very excited for version 2 -- I alternate between Xmonad, Musca, and Openbox so the possibility of combining aspects of them together is perfection. I think releasing version 2 as a separate package is a good idea, choice and variation is good.

A heads up on the most recent update (just reinstalled after the Python overhaul), some of the tiling behavior appears broken. PyTyle launches and initially tiles fine, but fails to adjust the tiling when a window is removed/added/iconified. Forcing a retile doesn't refit the windows either, and if I untile the screen and try to retile it PyTyle starts to fail completely.

Here is some terminal output after untiling and attempting to retile, in case it helps:

10/27/2010 at 17:24:29:    Could not complete key press request
10/27/2010 at 17:24:29:    Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pytyle", line 180, in <module>
    Tile.dispatch(State.get_desktop()._VIEWPORT._SCREEN.get_tiler(), None, e.get_keycode(), e.get_masks())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Tile.py", line 105, in dispatch
    action(tiler)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Tile.py", line 521, in tile
    self.help_save()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Tile.py", line 413, in help_save
    window.save_geometry()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Window.py", line 326, in save_geometry
    geom = PROBE.get_window_geometry(self.xobj)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Probe.py", line 430, in get_window_geometry
    wingeom = win.get_geometry()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/xobject/drawable.py", line 38, in get_geometry
    drawable = self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/rq.py", line 1428, in __init__
    self.reply()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/rq.py", line 1448, in reply
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0240000a), sequence_number = 19610, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

I uninstalled and reinstalled completely but that hasn't helped. Next I'm going to make sure all config and related files are purged before reinstalling in case the issue is isolated to me... anyone else experiencing similar or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Gabe

#170 2010-10-28 02:17:51

BurntSushi
Website

Thanks for the comments spazzwig! :-)

As for your bug... I assume you're using Openbox? Hmmm... With the latest version, I am still able to tile, add/remove windows, etc...

Is there any other information you can give me about your environment? (Maybe copy and paste your ~/.config/pytylerc file to this thread? Although, I really can't think of how this might be caused by a different configuration.)

#171 2010-10-28 02:22:31

c00kiemon5ter
Website

pytyle crashed now and then when I used it. I had similar ^ tracebacks.
I used undecorated windows and had set the same on pytylerc.
It usually happened when a window like emesene buddy list showed up, or mumble, windows that have a tray..
All other windows worked fine with pytyle. I actually had those ^ added to the ignore list, and everything was fine  smile

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2010-10-28 02:23:22)

.:[ git me! ] :.

#172 2010-10-30 03:03:29

spazzwig

Ah yes, sorry that was bad reporting on my part. I'm running Arch64, Openbox with Tint2. The issues I'm experiencing are across the board, typical windows are owned by Google Chrome, Firefox, Gvim, Urxvt. Everything behaved as expected prior to the recent Python and PyTyle update.

To perhaps explain things better, the buggy behavior I'm seeing includes:

• Tiled windows not resizing to fill the space left behind by iconified or closed windows.

• Untiling and retiling, the force retile command, or shuffling windows behaves inconsitently... sometimes it will bring things back in line, sometimes it will bug things out further.

• After some amount of going through the above, it eventually stops responding to commands altogether and needs to be killed.

• There are a few other odd behaviors, but I can't reproduce them reliably... for example sometimes if I go to cycle window locations (A-S-[j,k]) it will end up stacking windows on top of each other within a tile location, instead of swapping them around

I uninstalled (-Rcs) and reinstalled without a config (letting it generate a new one) but that didn't seem to make a difference. Here is my pytylerc, very little is changed from default (I trimmed all the commented content out to save space):

Config.MISC = {
               'tilers': ['Vertical', 'Horizontal', 'HorizontalRows', 'Maximal', 'Cascade'],
               'global_tiling': False,
               'timeout': 0.1,
               'decorations': True,
               'original_decor': True,
               }

Config.KEYMAP = {
                 'Alt-A': 'tile.default',
                 'Alt-U': 'untile',
                 'Alt-Z': 'cycle_tiler',
                 'Alt-Q': 'reload',
                 'Alt-Shift-space': 'reset',
                 'Alt-C': 'cycle',
                 'Alt-W': 'screen0_focus',
                 'Alt-E': 'screen1_focus',
                 'Alt-R': 'screen2_focus',
                 'Alt-Shift-W': 'screen0_put',
                 'Alt-Shift-E': 'screen1_put',
                 'Alt-Shift-R': 'screen2_put',
                 'Alt-H': 'master_decrease',
                 'Alt-L': 'master_increase',
                 'Alt-period': 'add_master',
                 'Alt-comma': 'remove_master',
                 'Alt-Return': 'make_active_master',
                 'Alt-M': 'win_master',
                 'Alt-Shift-C': 'win_close', 
                 'Alt-J': 'win_next',
                 'Alt-K': 'win_previous',
                 'Alt-Shift-J': 'switch_next',
                 'Alt-Shift-K': 'switch_previous',
                 }

Config.WORKAREA = {
                   0: {
                       'top': 0,
                       'bottom': 28,
                       'left': 0,
                       'right': 0,
                      }
                  }

Config.FILTER = [
               'gmrun', 'gimp', 'download', 'bashrun', 'pychrom', 'monica',
               ]

Config.LAYOUT = {
                 'Vertical': {
                              'width_factor': 0.5,
                              },

'Horizontal': {
                                'height_factor': 0.5,
                                },

'Maximal': {
                             },

'Cascade': {
                             'decoration_height': 25,
                             'width_factor': 1.0,
                             'height_factor': 1.0,
                             'push_over': 0,
                             'horz_align': 'left',
                             },

'HorizontalRows': {
                                     'height_factor': 0.5,
                                     'row_size': 2,
                                     },

}

Config.TILING = {
               'default': 'Vertical',
               }

Possibly noteworthy things that I've noticed:

• Before the update PyTyle picked up the space used by tint2 automatically, after the update I needed to reserve the space in the Config.WORKAREA item otherwise windows would overlap the tint2 bar

• I'm not sure if this was present before since I didn't have any issues so didn't ever run from terminal to check output, but when I fire PyTyle up currently I'm seeing this warning: Xlib.xauth: warning, no xauthority details available

Oddly, while I've been writing this post I have been hammering PyTyle pretty good to note things as they happen, and it appears to have started progressively returning to normal, on a couple of desktops. On my third desktop I got it to crash again, but on restart it appears to be behaving better. However, it still will not move a window into the master location when it is vacated, on any of my desktops. Anyway, not sure if any of this raises a flag or if it is just something unidentified in my environment.

Thanks again... is such a nice tool that even with the issues I'm seeing I can't imagine working without it!

In case it helps, here is the terminal output from the crash I mentioned above:

10/29/2010 at 19:53:14:    Could not complete key press request
10/29/2010 at 19:53:14:    Traceback (most recent call last):
    Tile.dispatch(State.get_desktop()._VIEWPORT._SCREEN.get_tiler(), None, e.get_keycode(), e.get_masks())
    action(tiler)
    self.help_save()
    window.save_geometry()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Window.py", line 326, in save_geometry
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Probe.py", line 430, in get_window_geometry
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/xobject/drawable.py", line 38, in get_geometry
    drawable = self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/rq.py", line 1428, in __init__
    self.reply()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/rq.py", line 1448, in reply
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0340002c), sequence_number = 41255, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

Xlib.protocol.event.ConfigureNotify(above_sibling = 0, height = 1549, width = 1278, window = <Xlib.display.Window 0x0320000a>, override = 0, y = 18, x = 1281, border_width = 0, type = 150, event = <Xlib.display.Window 0x0320000a>, sequence_number = 41713)
Xlib.protocol.event.ConfigureNotify(above_sibling = 0, height = 1551, width = 1278, window = <Xlib.display.Window 0x03e0002d>, override = 0, y = 18, x = 1281, border_width = 0, type = 150, event = <Xlib.display.Window 0x03e0002d>, sequence_number = 41819)
10/29/2010 at 19:53:28:    Could not complete key press request
10/29/2010 at 19:53:28:    Traceback (most recent call last):
    action(tiler)
    self.help_save()
    window.save_geometry()
    drawable = self)
    self.reply()
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0340002c), sequence_number = 41858, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

10/29/2010 at 19:53:35:    Could not complete key press request
10/29/2010 at 19:53:35:    Traceback (most recent call last):
    action(tiler)
    self.help_save()
    window.save_geometry()
    drawable = self)
    self.reply()
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0340002c), sequence_number = 41861, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

10/29/2010 at 19:53:36:    Could not complete key press request
10/29/2010 at 19:53:36:    Traceback (most recent call last):
    action(tiler)
    self.help_save()
    window.save_geometry()
    drawable = self)
    self.reply()
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0340002c), sequence_number = 41864, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

10/29/2010 at 19:53:38:    Could not complete key press request
10/29/2010 at 19:53:38:    Traceback (most recent call last):
    action(tiler)
    self.help_save()
    window.save_geometry()
    drawable = self)
    self.reply()
    raise self._error
BadDrawable: <class 'Xlib.error.BadDrawable'>: code = 9, resource_id = Xlib.xobject.resource.Resource(0x0340002c), sequence_number = 41867, major_opcode = 14, minor_opcode = 0

^C10/29/2010 at 19:54:0:    Fatal error
10/29/2010 at 19:54:0:    Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pytyle", line 174, in <module>
    e = Event()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyTyle/Event.py", line 46, in __init__
    self._event = PROBE.get_display().next_event()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/display.py", line 176, in next_event
    return self.display.next_event()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/display.py", line 171, in next_event
    self.send_and_recv(event = 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/display.py", line 502, in send_and_recv
    rs, ws, es = select.select([self.socket], writeset, [], timeout)
KeyboardInterrupt

#173 2010-10-31 17:09:45

DonVla

I'm also having some probs:

$ pytyle
  File "/usr/bin/pytyle", line 53, in <module>
    from PyTyle.Config import Config
ImportError: No module named PyTyle.Config

with

Name           : pytyle
Version        : 0.7.5-1

#174 2010-10-31 18:57:21

BurntSushi
Website

DonVla wrote:

I'm also having some probs:

$ pytyle
  File "/usr/bin/pytyle", line 53, in <module>
    from PyTyle.Config import Config
ImportError: No module named PyTyle.Config

with

Name           : pytyle
Version        : 0.7.5-1

This is a problem I think I know how to fix. Just try reinstalling pytyle from the AUR.

#175 2010-11-01 08:07:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Weighing in on the 'rename-or-replace', I think you should replace pytyle and just create a new-old package named pytyle1 or pytyle-legacy (I prefer the first one). More clearly indicates what has happened, and no need to worry about notifying anyone.

EDIT: Just to ask, I realize when I first boot the computer (or restart X) there's some sort of invisible window on my first screen (Twinview). I can Alt-J to it, but beyond that what can I do to find out what window it is? Replacing compiz with metacity makes it go away, and switching back to compiz everything works fine.

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-11-01 14:53:22)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer