You are not logged in.

#51 2010-02-15 23:51:18

MrGone

Re: Strange Xorg / Gnome Freeze with NVidia

Hello,

I have the same problem on E17 and slim so I think it is definitely Xorg.

I also have a feeling that it is the nVidia card that I have I think it may have started when I turned on some acceleration stuff. Does everyone else have nVidia?

#52 2010-02-16 08:41:01

onety-three

I do have an nVidia card but I know that nablaoperator does not.

#53 2010-02-24 18:00:21

MrGone

Well, I'm having great success with

xhost +

and haven't had any occurrences, post being required to do it after a reboot, since i've used it. It removes the problems of xorg permissions. Not sure if it's a fix or a fluke though as a new xorg was pushed recently.

#54 2010-02-25 14:48:56

youjh

Actually, I think the last xorg update fixed the problem for me. I haven't seen the issue in about a week
*Crosses fingers*

Code can be clean, fast, or object oriented. Pick two.

#55 2010-02-25 21:31:43

nablaoperator

Hmm it seems like I am the only one whose problems still occure sad

X.Org X Server 1.7.5
Release Date: 2010-02-16

#56 2010-02-25 22:33:55

insanemal

Have you guys checked for odd things like X on TTY2?

There are other people having odd freezes that were caused by Xorg starting on the same TTY as they Agetty deamons.

Most people fixed it by moving GDM to the last entry in their deamons line OR moving to runlevel5 and starting GDM from their inittab.

Just an idea.

#57 2010-03-01 10:30:08

nablaoperator

insanemal wrote:

Have you guys checked for odd things like X on TTY2?

There are other people having odd freezes that were caused by Xorg starting on the same TTY as they Agetty deamons.

Most people fixed it by moving GDM to the last entry in their deamons line OR moving to runlevel5 and starting GDM from their inittab.

Just an idea.

I'm using KDE (with KDM), I moved it to the last position of my daemons-list. It had no effect sad

#58 2010-04-02 13:59:22

hseara

Hi every body,
I have similar problem that the one you describe: Irresponsible desktop where the upper menu bar and down one seems to partially operate. I can't change of desktop.

However, in my case it is not a random problem, as seems to be for many of you. In my case I can reproduce the failure easily by clicking with the right mouse button in any open window program. This in principle should open a menu where for example you can change the window of desktop. For example in my case if I open a terminal and press the right button of the mouse in the top of the window to open the menu  the desktop freeze and I have to restart the gdm to correct it.

ATL+F1
/etc/rc.d/gdm stop

Can anybody reproduce my problem? If so it is possible that someone knows how to solve it.

I'm new in archlinux but I can say that I like it.

Edit:
I just figured out that only happens when using metacity. If compiz is on the problem is not longer there (weird)

Last edited by hseara (2010-04-02 16:57:41)

#59 2010-04-03 12:30:03

hseara

I open a bug  as I figured out that this behaviour is present in a newly fresh installation:

FS#18944 - Gnome desktop become irresponsible: Only when using Metacity
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do= … k_id=18944

#60 2010-06-30 14:11:36

onety-three

I'm not sure how many people are still following this, but I've got an update.

Basically, someone figured out how to reproduce this with KHotkeys (holding the gesture button for a while without movement). This allowed me to dig into the code and find out what caused it - and after some more to and fro I'm now certain that it's a regression in X. The problem is reported and from now on the fix depends only on how long it takes for an X hacker to restore the old behaviour.

I can't guarantee that the Gnomies are affected by exactly the same bug, though. Sorry. Change DE wink

#61 2010-08-28 10:20:19

Kielo

Dunno if this is still necessary for anyone, but I had also this issue after installing archLinux with gnome.

However.
I just thought I'll go through the wiki step-by-step and then see what happens.

By starting x (with startx) and then run gnome-session, I had an issue like.. Every time I clicked somewhere in to the desktop, there was a new terminal. Shot down the X server and yah.
After that, I tried to do gdm start / /etc/rc.d/gdm start, and got the following error msgs:

(gdm-binary:4209): Warning: failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager
(gdm-binary:4209): Warning: could not acquire name; bailing out

I just ignored this issue and went on setting up gdm on upstart, like described here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … tab_method

After restarting, gdm didn't startup, and after a minute I got the error msg

myhost init: cannot execute "/usr/bin/gdm"
myhost init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Nonetheless I run /etc/rc.d/gdm start again, and see, it worked o.O" Now my gnome runs there and up til now didn't crash.
But who knows how long this is going on, just did that 10min before or so, and in tty1 I still have the errors

myhost init: cannot execute "/usr/bin/gdm"
myhost init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

#62 2010-09-03 09:11:03

daasdingo

Hi,

I have the same problem, its definitely not driver related(I even changed my graphics card).

But to me it occurs the first time I open a window, everytime.
I have found a temporary workaround: killing Xorg from the tty, let it respawn, then everything works normal.

I will now try the inittab method of starting gdm, i think I found something interesting in the messages.log:

Sep  3 10:03:24 localhost gdm-simple-greeter[3797]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:5628: widget not within a GtkWindow
Sep  3 10:05:52 localhost gdm-simple-greeter[3797]: WARNING: Failed to send buffer

#63 2010-09-03 10:55:11

Vamp898
Website

If you have an nVidia and some strange hard freezes there could be different reasons. Here is one i had

Do you have the PowerMizer? Check with nvidia-settings

some nVidia Cards on Notebooks really hate this thing and when the PowerMizer changes the clock-rate up and down while using some stuff, sometomes the graphic card just freezes at the down-rating.

SSH should be still up and working (if you set it up) so you can try to kill the nVidia Kernel Module and re-load it.

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-09-03 10:56:18)

#64 2010-10-07 06:29:46

daasdingo

Well, to update you on my status, its not related to nvidia/gnome.

My problem is not a hard freeze though,
its more like a "I can't click on anything outside the current window or on tabs in it", pretty weird,

I found out its most likely a problem with my mouse(Razer DeathAdder),
if I plug it into other Xorg machines, they get the same problem after a while.

Seems to be a hardware failure or my firmware is too new(I updated it some weeks ago).

#65 2010-10-07 07:25:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

daasdingo wrote:

Well, to update you on my status, its not related to nvidia/gnome.

My problem is not a hard freeze though,
its more like a "I can't click on anything outside the current window or on tabs in it", pretty weird,

I found out its most likely a problem with my mouse(Razer DeathAdder),
if I plug it into other Xorg machines, they get the same problem after a while.

Seems to be a hardware failure or my firmware is too new(I updated it some weeks ago).

It would be SERIOUSLY odd for mouse problems to limit your mouse to a current screen. Perhaps a driver issue.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer