You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-21 05:06:39

aikidoist72

hpoj & hplip & cups - Officejet G85 - [unsolved for

After doing extensive research on this topic  - I am so confused.  Here is a wrap up.

I have an Officejet G85 and it is connected via usb.  After reading

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

It is suggested that hpoj is now the old driver and hpijs will be taking this driver over.  The new standard that is supposed to work with usb port connection is the hplip and with it comes a heap of new tools.

My problem being quite a newbie is how do I get my printer going?  I have downloaded hplip, and compiled it. It seemed to install, but I still cannot print. 

Can some one help me through this please?

I have installed

cups
ghostscript
enscript
hpijs
hplip - I think???? It had no errors when I 'make install'
hpoj

my /var/log/cups/error log is set to debug

If some one has the time - I will be at my computer for the next 4hrs from the time of my post.

Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#2 2005-04-24 03:19:18

aikidoist72

Re: hpoj & hplip & cups - Officejet G85 - [unsolved for

Ok, I have got this far with my PKGBUILD file, but after install, there is no ´hplip´ in /etc/rc.d/

Can someone please help this silly duffer!!

pkgname=hplip
pkgver=0.9.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Driver for HP Deskjet Officejet Inkjet Printer - USB"
url="http://http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpinkjet/"
license="GPL"
depends=('hpijs')
replaces=('hpoj')
makedepends=('wget')

source=(http://http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpinkjet/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {
 cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
 ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug
 make || return 1
 make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
}  

Also, I can not find the MD5SUM file to verify.

Thanks Guys

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#3 2005-04-24 09:18:52

aikidoist72

Ok - I have installed hplip with the above PKGBUILD and it seems to install ok except for a md5sum check error.

I manually copied the /usr,share/hplip/hplip file to /etc/rc.d/ and added it as a daemon to /etc/rc.conf

I can not get the program to recognise that I have installed my HP G85 Officejet - and the printer still does not work........I reaaaallllyyyyy need some help here.

Besides talking to myself is getting a little old now. 

Is anybody out there?????

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#4 2005-04-24 11:19:37

aikidoist72

Ok, I am now on a roll and am enjoying my own conversation here.  I may have to tell myself a joke for a quick chuckle, just to lighten the mood.

I now have a fully working hplip program which can tell me everything I wish to know about my printer.  All I needed to do was change the connection of the printer from

usb://hp/etc/etc/etc     to

hp://etc/etc/etc

Now the program works wonderfully.  I have come to realise that my error now resides somewhere with cups and this leaves me with a lot of reading to do, as I am still coming to terms with the file system (ex-debian user). 

Now for a quick joke!!!

A blonde police officer pulls over a blonde in a convertible sports car  for speeding. She walks over to the car and asks the blonde driver for some  I.D.

The blonde convertible driver searches through her purse in vain.
Finally she asks, "What does it look like?" The blonde police officer tells her,  "It's that thing with your picture on it."

The blonde driver searches for a few more seconds, pulls out her
compact,  opens it, and sure enough sees her picture. She hands the compact to the blonde cop.

The blonde cop looks at the compact for a few seconds, then rolls her eyes, hands the compact back to the blonde convertible driver, and says, "If you had told me you were a police officer when I first pulled you over, we could have avoided this whole thing.

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#5 2005-04-26 01:14:48

aikidoist72

Well I have a solution - From researching all weekend, it seems there is a confilict within the kernel regarding some of the drivers associated with the hplip usb connection.  The info was too complicated for me - something to do with converting 32bit to 64bit.  I will not explain it as I will confuse myself even more.

Sadly the only solution I have at this point is to go back to the Parallel port, and presto!!!!!  I can print.

If I have any luck in the future I will let you all know!

Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

Board footer