You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-08 01:31:19

tladuke

Poor Man's media center... wminput, vifm, mplayer

Got annoyed with Boxee and xmbc, so I hacked this together on the machine that's attached to my TV. It's all stuff in the repositories except for the wiimote stuff which is in aur.

I've never used Openbox before, but I'm trying it here. When I start X, Openbox opens urxvt fullscreen and starts a (multiuser) screen session which launches vifm.

vifm is configured to open avi,mkv,mp4... etc in mplayer.

I'm still working on the wiimote button layout. Right now up, down, left, and right are mapped to the arrow keys, which works in vifm and mplayer. I use - and + for volume in mplayer (9 and 0). I think 1 or 2 pauses, and some other button quits.

I think the screen stuff is not the best way and  I was just using it for testing and I'll probably switch to using different term windows. And bind a wiimote button to flip through the windows.

I want another window for ncmpcc. I might switch to dwm just because I know what I'm doing in it a little better. Maybe eventually add a window for video game emulators.

Is there a way to switch wminput config files without reconnecting?

Anyone have any ideas for getting rss feed streaming web video into this somehow?

Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by tladuke (2010-10-08 01:37:05)

#2 2010-10-08 02:56:24

dmz
Website

Re: Poor Man's media center... wminput, vifm, mplayer

tladuke wrote:

Is there a way to switch wminput config files without reconnecting?

No.
I'm thinking of hacking something together that'll be running as a daemon, and restarting the wminput process with wanted configurations depending on... focused window title, for example. I dont own a TV yet though, but in a couple of days.

Here are my wminput configurations if you're interested: http://github.com/trapd00r/configs/tree … d/wminput/

#3 2010-10-08 06:27:51

buzzqw

@tladuke

how do you deal with stutter ,jitter and tearing ?

how playing a 23.976 (pure ntsc) on 50hz or 60hz panel without hiccups ?

one of best option of xbmx (and boxee too) is the ability to set tv refresh on multiply of fps video (using xrandr.. i suppose..)

i view pal (25fps) , ntsc (29.97), film (23.976) and bluray (mostly 24p) and my plasma support all these refresh rates.. if plasma is set to 60mhz i got a not smooth playback on my source..

i could think about a script that analyze file with mediainfo, use xrandr , play the movie .. xbmc is just more handy smile

and.. what about scraper ?..  and.. just link -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1224942
it's an interesting project

BHH

HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV author

#4 2010-10-09 01:56:30

tladuke

Either I don't have a very critical eye or I haven't played any files that wouldn't work well with whatever refresh rate my TV uses; I haven't noticed a problem.

Board footer