You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-05 10:21:28

barthe
Website

XF86Calculator Key does not work in KDE 4.4

Hi,

I am trying to bind the calculator key on my keyboard to the speedcrunch program. I tried to bind the key through the KDE menu editor and I see now "Current shortcut key: Launch(1)". When I press the key, nothing happens. I also tried to create a custom input action, but that did not work either (nothing happens when I press the key).

If I bind the program to the mail button on my keyboard, I see: "Current shortcut key: Launch Mail" and it works as expected, i.e., the program launches when I press the key.

When running xev, it detects the calculator key as "148 XF86Calculator" which seems correct.

It looks like there is something wrong with KDE, but I don't know where to look. I could possibly use another program to bind the key, but I don't want to start an extra daemon when KDE should be able to handle this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Barthélémy

#2 2010-07-05 11:55:41

mythus
Website

Re: XF86Calculator Key does not work in KDE 4.4

I/86 have the same issue with the calculator key as well. I have noticed that you can bind it to another key or  key combo.... just not to the xf86calculator key.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#3 2010-10-09 09:33:48

herbie

My Distribution is Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.2

I think I solved the problem. My problem was the same as yours. The button Launch (1) was assigned to my calculator-application speedcrunch, but when I pressed the corresponding button nothing happened...

I searched for the string "Launch (1)" recursively in my directory ~/.kde  and found it in the files

~/.kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc
~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc

In both files I had to replace "Launch (1)" with "Calculator". Oddly enough I had to replace it with "Calculator", though the terminal application xev actually indicates the name "XF86Calculator" for that key.

Afterwards you have to reboot, then your special calculator key should work.

#4 2010-10-09 09:49:54

barthe
Website

Thanks for your reply herbie!

Unfortunately, it does not work for me... I changed the key in the menu editor (I saw Launch (1)). I could not find "Launch (1)" in the files you suggested, so I rebooted.

Then comes the weird part, I could not find "Launch (1)", but I found "Calculator" bound to my action (start speedcrunch). Still, pressing the calculator key did nothing :-(

If I find a solution, I'll share it here too.

#5 2010-10-09 10:38:06

herbie

Greetings barthe,

Maybe you could replace "Calculator" with "Launch (1)" in both files.

After having read:
https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56268#c24

I think the name of your special calculator button depends on your distribution. It seems to be not standardized in kde.

I would try these three possibilities:
"Calculator"
"Launch (1)" and
"XF86Calculator"

Board footer