You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-24 15:55:45

jeroenv

lirc for current kernel

Hi,

Today i did a pacman -Syu and decided to also upgrade kernel26, nvidia and gcc (they normally are in the IgnorePkg in pacman.conf, no need to change a perfectly running system too often).
So now i have a running system with kernel 2.6.11.7-ARCH and everything works... except lirc. The lirc package contains kernel modules for 2.6.10-ARCH only. Now i know i could try to build lirc myself with abs but i'd rather not, i'm not really comfortable with using abs.
Is it possible to get an updated lirc package that works with the latest kernel?

#2 2005-04-24 23:58:05

Cam
Website

Re: lirc for current kernel

This should probably be in the requested packages forum.

I didn't write a package build cause I didn't really want to figure out how the configure script worked but if you just download one of the lirc CVS snapshots and compile it as you would a normal app it works great. I use it with my non-Arch 2.6.11 kernel and it works perfectly.

#3 2005-04-26 18:28:29

jeroenv

Cam wrote:

This should probably be in the requested packages forum.

I didn't write a package build cause I didn't really want to figure out how the configure script worked but if you just download one of the lirc CVS snapshots and compile it as you would a normal app it works great. I use it with my non-Arch 2.6.11 kernel and it works perfectly.

I think i'm gonna build it myself. I need the kernel sources for that and therefore will have to repeat it every time a new version of the kernel arrives, or add kernel26/nvidia to pacman's IgnorePkg list and stick with the current ones. Sigh..., this is cumbersome. sad
There is a new version of the lirc package but it no longer has the (kernel dependent) driver modules. I'm not sure if this package has any use without these modules.

#4 2005-04-26 19:26:59

jeroenv

Well now, apparently i don't need the kernel sources after all big_smile. I.e. for my remote anyway, being the ATI USB RF remote. The sources from www.lirc.org compile just fine using Archlinux's default stuff under /usr/src/linux_something.
In fact, I'm going to watch a movie right now using my lirc-mplayer...

#5 2005-04-27 04:12:02

Cam
Website

Good on ya! I compiled my own kernel so I had sources handy already which eliminated that issue but yeah, lirc is great, I love it big_smile

#6 2005-05-16 05:42:08

kryt

Last week, I tried to compile LIRC from sources. But it wasn't successfiull. I saw message that bttv is in bad version. My kernel is from package 2.6.11-7, and LIRC version is the newest one LIRC-0.7.1 (the same like package lirc 0.7.1).

No more tears... Arch Linux ;-)

Board footer