You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-17 22:24:15

markb

Packages upgraded

Hi all just trying to figure out if I am not doing my homework or not.  Just did a fresh install of Arch 0.5.  Everything is fine, network is setup etc.  According to the documentation I should be able to do pacman -Syu and "pacman will automatically retrieve the current master package list and do a full system upgrade to the latest packages with all dependencies being automagically resolved."  I run the command everything that I installed gets upgraded to the newer package.  The only problem is that when I pacman -Q the packages are still being listed as when I did my initial install not the upgraded ones ie samba 2.2.8-5 should be samba 3.0.0.2 maybe I am missing something.  Any help I can get on this I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks Mark

#2 2003-10-18 03:50:47

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Packages upgraded

Hmm...  this is a new one.

First off, I'd recommend upgrading pacman by itself before doing an -Syu.  I know this isn't documented (yet) anywhere, but it can help to resolve issues with backwards compatibility.  You're installing packages that have some features not supported with the pacman included on the 0.5 iso.  Just do a pacman -Sy pacman, then the regular pacman -Syu.

So you've upgraded all your packages, and pacman still reports older versions... If you run -Syu again, does it try and re-upgrade them all, or does it think you're up to date?

#3 2003-10-18 11:46:57

markb

apeiro thanks for your reply...I did what you suggested upgraded pacman then did pacman -Syu. Synchronizing package databases...current.db.tar.gz AND unofficial.db.tar.gz(?) it asks questions about replacing sh-utils with coreutils from "current"? [ Y/n] I say no to all off those questions.  Pacman then brings all the packages it wants to upgrade I say yes to the upgrade.  Pacman does its thing..I get these messages for example /opt/gnome/share../exists in filesystem.  I do a pacman -Q and everything is the same again I am stumped:)

#4 2003-10-18 12:23:33

terrapin

I believe some of your packages are not being updated.  You need to force the installation of some packages if pacman detects older packages on your system.  To do this type

pacman -Syuf

This should update your packages to the newer versions.

#5 2003-10-18 17:37:38

hApy
Website

Yeah you should let it replace those packages it asks to replace, they have just changed names, so say yes to that.

Pacman, if it runs into problems with conflicts will advise you of all the conflicts, and will quit so that you can deal with them (it would be bad if it told you and then just overwrote everything). If you go through the list of conflicts and you don't have a problem with over-writing those files then do as terrapin says and just force it with "pacman -Syuf"

Hapy.

Board footer