You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-27 18:44:50

nerditup

[SOLVED] NVidia GT240 HDMI Audio and ALSA

I have an NVidia GT240 video card with HDMI out and I cannot for the life of me get the audio working through it!

I've installed the drivers for NVidia (I've managed to load up XBMC and the video works beautifully) but when loading ALSA (aplay -l) there are no devices listed! I've disabled my onboard audio outputs just to avoid conflicts, aplay -l used to output my onboard realtek devices.

I'm not sure why the devices aren't listed anywhere, either in "aplay -l" or "aplay -L".

I'm looking to see if there's a config file somewhere where I would need to declare the device or something? The device shows up as an HD Audio Controller in lspci.

Last edited by nerditup (2010-06-14 19:20:59)

#2 2010-05-31 13:47:06

ould

Re: [SOLVED] NVidia GT240 HDMI Audio and ALSA

I am having the same problem with a Geforce 210 based card. Some people on the XBMC forums report getting it to work without any issues with the latest versions of Alsa. But I am in the same boat as you where it shows no devices. I did at one point have it displaying a single PCM device but it has disappeared, not sure what I did. For the time being I have gone back to the SPDIF out on my Soundblaster. I would really like to get the HDMI audio working though.

Kevin

#3 2010-06-02 20:31:40

ould

Hey Nerditup,

I managed to get my card working. Here is the thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=90350. Mine is the last post. Basically I had to manually build the Alsa-driver package which contains the kernel modules. No patches need or anything. I just downloaded the latest package from the Alsa site and extracted it, did a cofigure, make, make install and followed the rest of the steps posted at the start of the thread(the sound.conf file) and it worked. It would not work at all with the stock Arch package.

Hope that helps and ask if you need some more help...

Kevin

#4 2010-06-03 23:55:52

nerditup

Really? That's great news, I had been learning about everything works and it would make sense that we're missing something from the stock package. When I looked at what was included in the install (sudo pacman -Ql nvidia) it doesn't show anything to do with audio.

I'm going to do this and I'll let you know if I have any luck.

#5 2010-06-14 19:20:40

nerditup

I have managed to finally get the HDMI audio working with my NVidia GT240. I haven't been able to respond since I've been busy with other things.

Thanks for the help, the trick is compiling the alsa-drivers from the website since the included drivers in the latest arch kernel will not suffice.

#6 2010-10-11 19:45:48

Xi0N
Website

nerditup wrote:

I have managed to finally get the HDMI audio working with my NVidia GT240. I haven't been able to respond since I've been busy with other things.

Thanks for the help, the trick is compiling the alsa-drivers from the website since the included drivers in the latest arch kernel will not suffice.

Will this work if i install alsa-svn from aur?

Im a bit desperate... thanks!!!

EDIT: alsa-lib-svn does not fix it....

Last edited by Xi0N (2010-10-11 20:00:50)

Board footer