You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-12 00:58:32

softtower

After Gnome upgrade GDM login screen always says "Other..." [SOLVED]

After the recent Gnome upgrade GDM login screen started looking strange:

It shows a blue (highlighted?) disabled editbox that says "Other..." which I now must click on to get the usual username/password edit boxes. WTF?

Pressing Enter won't do anything, it wants a mouse click. I find it extremely annoying to click on the stupid thing every time I need to login. I have waited a couple of weeks hoping this would come up in Google searches but it didn't.

Can't do a screenshot of a login prompt.

Seems like the login is supposed to show a list of users plus "Other" thing at the bottom. But I'm not getting the list, just "Other..." box.

Last edited by softtower (2010-10-12 01:13:30)

#2 2010-10-12 01:14:17

softtower

Re: After Gnome upgrade GDM login screen always says "Other..." [SOLVED]

I finally found this wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gno … user_names

... which tells me to disable the user list. The question I still have is - why is that "list" is there if it's always empty, i.e. doesn't show any users besides "other..."?

#3 2010-10-12 17:41:07

verbbis

Re: After Gnome upgrade GDM login screen always says "Other..." [SOLVED]

I haven't touched that setting and the list of users is visible for me (in addition to the Other... option).

# sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list
false

There, however, is the annoying issue that focus is initially outside the login box. I have to press arrow down before pressing enter to select a user. Perhaps that behavior would make more sense if I had several users on the system (i.e. the first one on the list would not necessarily be me).

Board footer