You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-23 15:30:11

pixel

[request] linuxconf

http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

Got some problems with building it and would like to check it out.
Personally i think it's much better than webmin because it has ncurses interface..
Anyone?

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

#2 2005-04-23 15:53:53

i3839

Re: [request] linuxconf

Linuxconf goes further than simple configuration. It is an activator. It fully controls the boot process, providing all kind of added value to it, including full logging, errors logging and operator bypass.

I don't think it is very suited for Arch linux. It doesn't support Arch linux anyway, so it isn't just a build matter. What's wrong with just using ssh? :-(

That said, if someone really wants to do this, go ahead, no one will stop you...

#3 2005-04-23 16:41:08

darkcoder

linuxconf is primary done for RedHat.  Since Mandrake was based on RedHat, and still maintains its configuration files (no utilities, just files), that's why  linuxconf also work on Mandrake, and with any other RedHat based distribution.  But if you take a look to their ChangeLog you will see that they now have started to support SuSE and Conectiva, both which I think they where not derived from RedHat even when they share the same package management.
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/changes.hc?pr … ersion=all

A better option is Webmin.  It may be not as fast as a compiled GTK/QT app, but provide more flexibility since you can change your machine settings even from another machine on your LAN.

#4 2005-04-25 04:43:43

Father

if think Redhat / Fedora dropped / deprecated linuxconf in support of their own more `do one thing well' settings apps rather than the `try and do everything'..
i may be wrong.. trying to recall from my RH days..

webmin would definitely be the way to go if you want a gui config system

#5 2005-04-25 14:42:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah webmin is better - IIRC someone went throught the trouble of configuring webmin for arch... search the aur package forum...

Board footer